cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR 1001

TRACY HARTMANN
Level 1
Level 1

I am replacing my 2900  Internet router with a ASR 1001.   I am really not doing anything to fancy on the configuration just routing traffic from the internal LAN to our ISP connection.   With the new ASR 1001 there is a configuration for VRF Definition Mgmt-Intf do I do anything with this?  There is also a interface for vrf forwarding.    At this point we are just running IPv4.  The plan was just to configure the GigabitEthernet interfaces but I wanted to make sure if I should try and configure VRF.

2 Replies 2

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello, you might be able to see a 'mgmt' port on the front of the ASR near the aux and the console ports. That VRF is tied to that port and is only there for management purposes if required. (For a separate management network)

You can use the other interfaces as normal. Hope this helps.

More info here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/asr1000/configuration/guide/chassis/Management_Ethernet.html

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

tobyarnett
Level 1
Level 1

As stated above you can configure the ASR router in many ways the exact same as you did any other router. You do not need to enable the VRF's, however for the management interface you can create a VRF if needed to help segment your routing table. In your case I would just leave it alone for now. The router will handle data just fine. I am using an ASR 1002 as our internet WAN router and I was able to pretty much port our 7200 config directly over to the ASR with little work to make the config compatible.

-Toby

Please don't forget to rate any helpful post.

-Toby

Please don't forget to rate any helpful post.

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card