Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR 1002 IOS Change

scottmanzie1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I've got an ASR router which has hit bug CSCti51325, IOS asr1000rp1-adventerprisek9.03.01.00.S.150-1.S.bin          

I plan to change the IOS to asr1000rp1-adventerprisek9.02.04.00.122-33.XND.bin - This is what other ASR's in the same network are running.........the one with the bug appears to have been missed

I note there is quite a varation in the IOS and I've not upgraded an IOS before on an ASR, I just want to clarify there are no gotchas with what I plan to do

ie copy to flash then add the new boot statement

Thanks in advance

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I note there is quite a varation in the IOS and I've not upgraded an IOS before on an ASR,

Wow.  That's a significant IOS DOWNGRADE. 

The only gotchas I can see are the commands which are supported in 3.1.0 and not supported in 2.4.0.

Another thing that you should be looking at is the age of the IOS you are planning to go.  The older the IOS the MORE bugs and/or security exploits.

ie copy to flash then add the new boot statement

Should be fine.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Another thing, make sure your router is EXACTLY identical to the rest of your fleet.  I am concern about some hardware that may not be supported when you downgrade to an older IOS.

Hi Leo

Yes big downgrade my thinking is based purely on other ASR's in the network being stable for 2 + years but as we know bugs can hit any time

In terms of the commands I know the IOS is ok because the configurations are very standardised to the level that the only differences are IP addresses and BGP peers

In terms of hardware our general build is

ROUTER#sh inv
NAME: "Chassis", DESCR: "Cisco ASR1002 Chassis"
PID: ASR1002           , VID: V04, SN:

NAME: "module F0", DESCR: "Cisco ASR1000 Embedded Services Processor, 5Gbps"
PID: ASR1000-ESP5      , VID: V03, SN:

NAME: "Power Supply Module 0", DESCR: "Cisco ASR1002 AC Power Supply"
PID: ASR1002-PWR-AC    , VID: V02, SN:

NAME: "Power Supply Module 1", DESCR: "Cisco ASR1002 AC Power Supply"
PID: ASR1002-PWR-AC    , VID: V02, SN:

NAME: "module 0", DESCR: "Cisco ASR1002 SPA Interface Processor 10"
PID: ASR1002-SIP10     , VID: V04, SN:

NAME: "SPA subslot 0/0", DESCR: "4-port Gigabit Ethernet Shared Port Adapter"
PID: 4XGE-BUILT-IN     , VID: V00, SN: N/A       

NAME: "subslot 0/0 transceiver 0", DESCR: "GE T"
PID: N/A                 , VID: E   , SN:    

NAME: "subslot 0/0 transceiver 1", DESCR: "GE T"
PID: N/A                 , VID: E   , SN:    

NAME: "subslot 0/0 transceiver 2", DESCR: "GE SX"
PID: N/A                 , VID: A   , SN:    

NAME: "module R0", DESCR: "Cisco ASR1002 Route Processor 1"
PID: ASR1002-RP1       , VID: V04, SN:

I suppose I could look at an upgrade rather than downgrade

Thanks

I'd upgrade them all to 3.4.6S and the latest ROMMON (maybe start with one or two and watch it / them for a couple of weeks or months to assess stability) ...

But if you're only concerned with that specific bug on that specific device then asr1000rp1-adventerprisek9.03.01.03.S.150-1.S3.bin should be the closest IOS to the current one that fixes it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: