Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR-920-4SZ-A

Bob_Rock
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I will have to upgrade several ASR920 routers for our customer and i'm wondering if anybody had any issues with the upgrade procedure. Lately I had a couple of bad experiences with upgrading Cisco equipment, so I'm taking all the precautions I can take.

Sadly routers are accessible only over the mngmt IP, I will not have console access.
The procedure I will take is described in document : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr920/upgrade/guide/b-upgrade-3x-16x-asr920/b-upgrade-3x-16x-asr920_chapter_011.html

I will try to upgrade to Fuji-16.9.7 MD (it's also recommended by CISCO - star), in the document there is mentioned that ROMMON upgrade is not mandatory if you go to version Everest 16.5.1. Do you think I have to upgrade ROMMON first ?

Current version :
Cisco IOS XE Software, Version 03.16.02a.S - Extended Support Release
Cisco IOS Software, ASR920 Software (PPC_LINUX_IOSD-UNIVERSALK9_NPE-M), Version 15.5(3)S2a, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Will licence stay the same or will I have to install it again ?

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

i recently upgraded ASR920 3.16.x to 16.12.x. you'll need to upgrade ROMMON package to avoid compatibility issue with the main code. just follow the ROMMON and IOS-XE compatibility matrix.

you also need to pre-configure "stronger" SSH encryption:

ip ssh client algorithm encryption <ENCRYPTION>

if you're using TACACS+, the tacacs-server host command was deprecated in IOS-XE 16.12.2, so you need to convert them prior the upgrade:

no tacacs-server host <IP>

aaa group server tacacs+ <GROUP>
 server-private <IP> key <KEY>

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

i recently upgraded ASR920 3.16.x to 16.12.x. you'll need to upgrade ROMMON package to avoid compatibility issue with the main code. just follow the ROMMON and IOS-XE compatibility matrix.

you also need to pre-configure "stronger" SSH encryption:

ip ssh client algorithm encryption <ENCRYPTION>

if you're using TACACS+, the tacacs-server host command was deprecated in IOS-XE 16.12.2, so you need to convert them prior the upgrade:

no tacacs-server host <IP>

aaa group server tacacs+ <GROUP>
 server-private <IP> key <KEY>

Thank you very much for the answer John, I have also asked Cisco support and I got the answer that I should just go for the latest ROMMON version. I think I got everything cleared now, the only issue will be lack of console access to the router during the upgrade.

But I hope everything will go as planned so console access will not be needed.

Best regards

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

i highly suggest to have an OBM server or someone onsite to give you console access. i had one ASR920 upgrade with no console view wherein the ROMMON package didn't kick in.

Hi,

what do you mean it did not "kick in" ? How did you solve the issue ?

If the upgrade will fail I will go to the site and connect with the console cable, but due to corona lockdown we have to try upgrades remotely first.

Ulrik Rosen
Level 1
Level 1

Follow up question on upgrade of the ASR-920-4SZ-A, if the rommon is upgraded to the lastest version
are there any problems going from 3.18 directly to 17.3.7 ? or do i need to step through 16.x first?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card