Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR or Nexus 7700 as an Edge Routing Device

V120311
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I wanted to get some opinion on what device would be better suited to be deployed at the edge of a site between an ASR or Nexus 7700? Specifically this device will be connecting to about 650 remote sites primarily doing routing. From a performance, and port capacity perspective what would be the best device to deploy?  Thank you

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you provide some clarification about your requirements? When you mention 650 remote sites, is this 650 sites on the Internet reached through a connection to an ISP? Is this 650 sites reached through an MPLS network? Is this 650 sites reached through DMVPN? Is ti 650 sites reached through site to site VPN? Also when you ask about port capacity are you asking about the number of ports? Or asking about port speed? or asking something else?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi, the 650 sites will be connected back to a hub site via private fiber. These will be direct fiber between the hub site to the remote sites with no intermediate devices. In regards to port capacity I meant number of ports provided by the platform. For further understanding please see the simple diagram I created which is attached. Thank you

I find your diagram difficult to interpret. But based on the number of layer 2 connections it seems to show I would say that the 7700 has more ports available than an ASR and so 7700 would be your better choice.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card