Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR1002 Full BGP Table (IPv4 & IPV6)

_networker_
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

are there any limits according to the maximum number of routes for that router?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps9343/data_sheet_c78-441072.html  shows in the Section Performance

"Scalability to 1,000,000 IPv4 routes or 500,000 IPv6 routes"

How many IPv4 and how many IPv6 routes can be used together?

At the moment, in a DFZ Free Setup there are ~470000 IPv4 Routes and 15000 IPv6 Routes!?

7 Replies 7

amsodhi
Level 1
Level 1

To store a complete global BGP routing table from one BGP peer, it is best to have a minimum of 512 MB or 1 GB of RAM in the router.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094a83.shtml

So how many BGP peers, you are planning to connect and are you going to take full routing table from all of them?

-Amant

-Amant

Amant Sodhi schrieb:

To store a complete global BGP routing table from one BGP peer, it is best to have a minimum of 512 MB or 1 GB of RAM in the router.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094a83.shtml

So how many BGP peers, you are planning to connect and are you going to take full routing table from all of them?

-Amant

Hello, this link refers in my opinion to older Routers e.g. 7200 oder 29xx. The ASR1002 has 1GB ESP memory and 4GB Route-Processor Memory. The question is how many routes can be stored in the FIB.

The Original Question is still valid: Because you can't upgrade this router how long will it last operating with one ore more BGP Full-Feeds with all IPv4 and IPv6 routes!? The Routing Table is still growing fastly.

Hello

I think.you need to.ask if.you do indeed require the.full bgp table or partial or defaults routes would be applicable

Res
Paul

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

pdriver schrieb:

Hello

I think.you need to.ask if.you do indeed require the.full bgp table or partial or defaults routes would be applicable

Res
Paul

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Yes, the full BGP table is required.

Networks,

The Cisco ASR 1002 comes with the RP1 built into the chassis, which provides up to 2 to 4 GBs of memory.

This should be more than enough for a full Internet Table, as well as IPv6 Internet Table. Remember only about 20%

of IPv6 addresses have ben allocated, so it's no the full 2^128 of addresses.

I hope that helps some.

On a site note ** Are you going to be peering with multiple providers, and taking the full table from multiple ISPs ** ?

Hello,

the real question is how many route can be stored in the FIB. This is not directly related to the RAM.

e.g. the ASR1001 has 4GB RAM, but can only store 512.000 Routes in the FIB! That means, this limit will be reached in the near future. Because the datasheet says

"Scalability to 1,000,000 IPv4 routes or 500,000 IPv6 routes" i think that you can't store 1 million IPv4 routes, if you also store the IPv6 routes.

Networker,

I'm pretty sure, CEF is stored on the RP(aka memory) so  I'm pretty sure you''ll be fine. You're using

Central CEF Mode Operation, since the ASR 1002 is a fixed router, and you can't add a dCEF card.

Central CEF Mode Operation

You can use central Cisco Express Forwarding mode when line cards are not available for Cisco Express Forwarding switching, when you need to use features not compatible with distributed Cisco Express Forwarding switching, or when you are running on a nondistributed platform. When central Cisco Express Forwarding mode is enabled, the Cisco Express Forwarding FIB and adjacency tables reside on the RP, and the RP performs the express forwarding.

Here is a link that might help you out.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/ipswitch_cef/configuration/xe-3s/asr1000/isw-cef-overview.html

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: