Views
Helpful
Replies

Assistance with QoS config

hooneyrob
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Wonder if one of you might be able to clear up a question. I'm looking at an existing config with the following detail in it:

class-map match-any Gold-Outbound

match ip dscp ef

!

!

policy-map ABC-GOLD

class Gold-Outbound

priority 5012

class class-default

fair-queue

It appears this is the only QoS reference in the entire config.  Does this suggest that essentially:

1. They're matching anything not specific to Gold-Outbound.

2. Gold-Outbound is an EF queue.

3. A new map is created called ABC-GOLD which is getting a bandwidh of 512MB with a class default of fair-queue * I would have expected to see a parameter after fair-queue?

Any help appreciated.  I have the full config...

Thanks, Rob.

5 Replies 5

Hi Rob,

Please find answers to your Questions below:

1. They're matching anything not specific to Gold-Outbound.

- Anything which is not match explictly will be match by class-default. So answer is yes match is still there apart from Gold-Outbound, but it is implicit matching.

2. Gold-Outbound is an EF queue.

- Gold-Outbound is not an EF queue, it is just matching packets with dscp marking EF. It is priority Queue with bandwidth gaurantee of 5012.

3. A new map is created called ABC-GOLD which is getting a bandwidh of 512MB with a class default of fair-queue * I would have expected to see a parameter after fair-queue?

- Since anything which is not match explicitly, will be match by class-default. hence your ABC_GOLD class is getting whatever is defined under class-default.

Regards,

Smitesh

PS: Please rate helpful posts.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

smitesh kharecha wrote:

It is priority Queue with bandwidth gaurantee of 5012.

Actually, on a router, it should be a LLQ which generally unlike PQ has an implicit policer.

Point noted Joseph.

+5 for pointing subtle difference 

Regards,

Smitesh

Thanks for the replies, makes perfect sense.

The other config I'm looking at is attached - odd behaviour with this one, our VoIP system is not functioning correctly when connected via this site. Yet at other sites it works fine - it's not to with quality but actually not contacting the gateway so we wondered if anything was off in terms of config. There doesn't look to be.

Feel free to critique the config in general. 

And thanks, I won\t be asking for further free resource. Much appreciated.

Config attached.

Hi Robert,

If you are not able to connect to VoIP server totally, it might be that your router doesn't have routes for reaching VoIP server.

and if it is intermittent, then you ISP link might be bad; due to which you are getting intermittent connectivity to VoIP server.

PS: I'm assuming the site in question is a remote site and your VoIP server might be located in HQ or DC.

Regards,

Smitesh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card