cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Async interface with encapsulation PPP using HWIC-8A vs Async interface with encapsulation ASYNC using NIM-16A

I need information on the technical differences when using HWIC-8A on Cisco 1941 vs NIM-16A on Cisco 4221.

The main purpose of the device will be to act as a Terminal Server.

The existing setup using Cisco 1941 shows the configuration for the Async interface as follows

interface Async0/0/0
description XXXX
no ip address
encapsulation ppp
async mode interactive
no keepalive

When finding a replacement I see Cisco showing 4221 with NIM-16A as the suitable replacement. But the NIM module does not support Serial Line Internet Protocol (SLIP) and Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP). In this instance my issue is whether I can use the NIM module which does not support PPP encapsulation in order to get access as terminal server. Moreover the configuration changes which are required need to be captured. Been through a few documents and one of them states encapsulation ASYNC as per below

Use show interface async <slot/subslot/interface> command to get the async interface details including counters of input/output
queue, rate, packets, bytes, and so on.
Router#show interfaces async 0/1/0
Async0/1/0 is up, line protocol is down
Hardware is NIM-24A
MTU 1500 bytes, BW 17 Kbit/sec, DLY 0 usec,
reliability 25/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
Encapsulation ASYNC, loopback not set

Cant seem to find any Cisco doc or otherwise which states the difference between the encapsulation types and the configuration changes that will be required.

Need to get into the right direction to ensure that I have all the changes that are required from Hardware as well as Config side to achieve this.

0 Replies 0
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card