cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Auto-RP multicast not passing traffic

cmparish5
Level 1
Level 1

I have an ISR4331 CE edge router at a remote site that is linked vis BGP to two separate ISP's (Century Link and Sprint).  I use the weight metric to determine which ISP will act as the primary MPLS network and the lower weight assigned ISP as the redundant backup.  
Problem is that when I make the Sprint network my primary, I lose multicast traffic out over their network.  I configured our network to use IP PIM sparse mose with auto-rp.  I confirmed Sprint has done the same through their network.  Our other sites connected through Sprint correctly pass the auto-rp multicast traffic and within the problem site itself igmp groups are established but no sources show up from the other sites, and my RP (located at our main site) is only discovered if I statically set it.
When I make the Century Link MPLS network primary, everything works fine.  The RP is discovered correctly via auto-rp and multicast traffic passes as expected.
I checked the configs and the interfaces to each provider are configured for ip pim sparse-mode.  And all other global settings such as ip multicast-routing distributed and ip pim autorp listener are present (else it also would not work for the traffic over Century Link).

The only difference I see is that I have a QOS policy associated to the Sprint interface where the Century Link interface does not.  But I don't see how that could stop the outbound and inbound M-cast traffic.  Below is that policy...

policy-map WANQoS-Sprint
class ef
priority 5120 188000
class af-all
priority 5120 188000

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/2
description 50Mbps Sprint WAN-Edge

service-policy output WANQoS-Sprint

8 Replies 8

Hello

can you reach the RP over this isp link from the lan users?

is multicast being filtered especially the following 

sh ip  (mc group)

sh ip route (rp)

sh ip rpf (src ip)

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello,

What do you have matching in the classes ?

Re: Auto-RP multicast not passing traff... - Cisco Community

Thanks Paul.  At the moment I have the interface shut as I am also having an issue with BGP weight apparently not being enough to mark a preferred ISP network, so this Friday I will bring it back up during my mtnce window.  Once I do that I can check a few of these questions.  However I can say no filtering is being done on multicast.

can you reach the RP over this isp link from the lan users?

I need to check this Friday night.  However all other unicast traffic is passing.

is multicast being filtered especially the following   -  No

sh is mroute (mc group)

sh ip rpf (src ip)

Question, When I bring up the Sprint interface, the routing prefers to go over the Sprint network. However, the Cent Link BGP connectivity is still up, and receiving the same advertisements so even if there is an issue with receiving route advertisments to the RP over the Sprint network, I would think my router would still receive the route from Century Link and simply pass the M-Cast traffic via that network.

Hello

the problem with that is then you could possibly experience a rpf failure.

Canyou post the show commands i posted when only the primary or the secondary is  up and then when both are up

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Will do but I wont be able to do it until this Friday night.

Still waiting for my maintenance window to run bring up my NY router's interface for Sprint which is not passing multicast traffic, but I thought I'd ask another question in the meantime. 

I am starting to think the issue is with PIM registration back to our RP in Illinois.  If the router is connected to 2 different ISPs, and has already built a shared tree via PIM registration over Century Link, then I changed the ISP routing preference to prefer the other ISP (Sprint), is there a time-out period before the shared and source trees rebuild?  

Maybe the problem is that I have 2 different ISPs off the same router and a PIM Data register does not get sent to the RP when we switch traffic over to the other ISP?

Still waiting for my maintenance window to run bring up my NY router's interface for Sprint which is not passing multicast traffic, but I thought I'd ask another question in the meantime. 

I am starting to think the issue is with PIM registration back to our RP in Illinois.  If the router is connected to 2 different ISPs, and has already built a shared tree via PIM registration over Century Link, then I changed the ISP routing preference to prefer the other ISP (Sprint), is there a time-out period before the shared and source trees rebuild?  

Maybe the problem is that with 2 different ISPs off the same router, a PIM Data register does not get sent to the RP when we switch traffic over to the other ISP?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: