cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

bandwidth issue

munawar.zeeshan
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 7206 connected via vsat to my remote office's 7206.At both end E1 are terminated on a FE-converter from there i get an FE on my router fast Ethernet.

The vsat link is 2Mbps.i have a bandwidth problem.Whenever i ping with 1000 bytes from this end to the far end router i get abut 40 % drop. Remoter office users are also complaining of very slow connection.here is a portion of output form my show interfaces at 7206 at my end

5 minute output rate 44000 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

what does 44000 b/s implies ?How much b/w should i get on a 2Mbps and further advice me the way i can check the throughput at my router.

8 Replies 8

ccbootcamp
Level 7
Level 7

It doesn't sound like a bandwith problem, it sounds like a connectivity or even possibly a routing problem. what is the latency in the vsat connection? what happens when you ping with smaller packets?

-brad

www.ccbootcamp.com

(please rate the post if this helps!)

with smaller packets like 200 b ping is relatively good.

Well can you tell me what , rate = 54000 bits/sec (5 minute output rate 54000 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec), in the show interfaces command means?

can we judge our through put with this or how can i judge my throughput from the router?

thanks.

that is the ave. bandwith outbound over a 5 min. period. but what is very strange is your 0 packets/sec. can you paste the entire show interface from the device?

-brad

www.ccbootcamp.com

(please rate the post if this helps!)

Here is the output. Please dont consider the abovementioned line containing 0 packets / sec . i mistakenly deleted the actual output.

FastEthernet2/0 is up, line protocol is up

Hardware is i82543 (Livengood), address is 001e.1425.2c38 (bia 001e.1425.2c38)

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 2048 Kbit, DLY 100 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set

Keepalive set (10 sec)

Full-duplex, 100Mb/s, 100BaseTX/FX

ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00

Last input 00:00:01, output 00:00:00, output hang never

Last clearing of "show interface" counters 1d17h

Input queue: 0/75/221/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0

Queueing strategy: fifo

Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)

5 minute input rate 5000 bits/sec, 4 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 8000 bits/sec, 2 packets/sec

79787 packets input, 25549013 bytes

Received 17831 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles

215 input errors, 215 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored

0 watchdog

0 input packets with dribble condition detected

119293 packets output, 49265752 bytes, 0 underruns

0 output errors, 0 collisions, 0 interface resets

0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred

0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier

0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped o

For VSAT , mostly it might be due to latacy and its drop. Try ping with additonal "wait" in extened ping.

Also looks like, CRC error on the link..

215 input errors, 215 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored

Check for proper connectivity.

ok..

Tell me how can i measure the actual through put that i am getting from a WAN connection, like a internet connection of 2 Mbps terminating on my router.I want to check the through put i am getting from this 2 Mbps

by the way how much throughput must i get from a normal 2 Mbps internet conenctin?

An E1 is actually 2.048 Mbps, which means 2.048 x 10^6 bps, which is equal to 2 048 000 bits per second.

2048000 bits/second is the maximum you will ever see on this link (or even less, because of some overhead that in general might not be included in the output of show interface).

As it has already been stated, you do not have a bandwidth problem. You have plenty of remaining bandwidth until you fill up this link with traffic. Your users are complaining because their traffic is not moving at all, not because your link is congested.

It seems as a connectivity problem to me, because you have packet-loss between the routers that are interconnected via this link.

An additional routing issue is not unlikely, but since you have packet-loss between 2 routers (that do not need any fancy routing protocol to ping each other besides the connected route due to the link between them), I believe you should focus on the connectivity issue.

Check your line with your circuit provider.

I am not sure about your actual setup, but since a converter is between the E1 line and your fastethernet interface, the converter might be hiding the connectivity (or bad line quality/line errors) issue, and seeing the interface as up/up (or only few errors) might just mean that the connection between router interface and converter is ok. But what about the circuit between the converters at each end of the E1?

Check that the peer router is ok (or have the owning party check it for you).

Clear the counters on your interfaces ("clear counter" in priviledged mode).

Make the interface report bandwidth utilization more often ("load-interval 30" in interface configuration mode, to have statistics updated every 30 seconds, instead of every 5 minutes).

Kind Regards,

M.

Now that I think about it a bit more, I consider unlikely that you will ever see any E1 style errors reported in some meaningful way towards your fastethernet interface. Whenever such kind of a conversion occurs some alarms on one kind of media are inevitably not applicable to the other, so you miss some vital information on the router side. [I have seen such issues in ATM/FR VCs in the past. A shutdown on the ATM router side would not be propagated to the Frame Relay router side (not very good cooperation between ATM and Frame Relay).]

So, make sure you check the circuit between the converters with your circuit provider.

Kind Regards,

M.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: