cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth Utilization with IOS

Thomas Reiling
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a good step-by-step process for me to check/monitor the bandwidth utilization of a particular serial interface (i.e., WAN link) on our router or firewall?  I would like check without using any third-party tool - just the command line.

Thank you,

Thomas

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

Hi Thomas,

You can simply use  the show interface <interface_type> command line  , and reference the reliability output of the given interface, you will see it as a fraction of 255/255   which means %100 realiable .   

For example  a     txload/rxload  100/255  off a T1  you can say the link is %50 utlilized , same principle for a 100 MB ethernet link  , same applies for the firewall interfaces or any other Cisco devices with interfaces   etc..

There are few free third party software out there you could use to collect this information in a more grafical way as suppose  constantly checking   all devices by command line ..

Regards

Jorge Rodriguez

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

Hi Thomas,

You can simply use  the show interface <interface_type> command line  , and reference the reliability output of the given interface, you will see it as a fraction of 255/255   which means %100 realiable .   

For example  a     txload/rxload  100/255  off a T1  you can say the link is %50 utlilized , same principle for a 100 MB ethernet link  , same applies for the firewall interfaces or any other Cisco devices with interfaces   etc..

There are few free third party software out there you could use to collect this information in a more grafical way as suppose  constantly checking   all devices by command line ..

Regards

Jorge Rodriguez

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As Jorge stated, the show interface serial x will provide the info you are after but make sure to change the load interval to 30 seconds from the default 5 minutes. The command is load-interval 30 under the serial interface.

Thomas Reiling
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you Jorge and Edison!

Thomas

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card