cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Banner Only

jason.poon
Level 1
Level 1

I'd changed the Ram and Motherbroad on the router as adv. from Cisco. But am still getting only login banner without the login? the router will halt each and everytime. pls adv what to do!

5 Replies 5

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Jason,

Your configuration (of the router) contain a banner command and possibily some wrong config, thats causing this. This config, is stored in a non volatile memory (diff.) from RAM. ( I am not sure how you changed the MoBo)

Go through a password recovery process listed here depending on the type of router you have (you have not mentioned that in your post)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1831/products_tech_note09186a00801746e6.shtml

If you do not care about the existing config, just skip the portion where the startup config is copied to running config.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

There is nothing wrong with the config. I'd been using it for almost a yr now. until recently the router kept halting and sometimes reboots itself?

Cisco Rep. told me to change the mobo + ram, as suggested!

am always getting the banner, but not the login prompt. pls adv.wat cld be done

Router Cisco3745

So once you get the banner, what happens if you hit the enter (return) key?

I hope you have a backup of the config of your router. Go through the procedure indicated in this link and see if you get the prompt.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps282/products_password_recovery09186a00800f8db5.shtml

The steps indicated in the link, bypasses the configuration stored in NVRAM and boots with no config. See if that works out.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

once i hit return key. nothing happens!!

dont tell me i'd hv to reload start from start - reconfig again on the router. that will be pain in the ass!

Am alwasy getting software crash. from last report which was being send over to cisco.!

The method listed in the link above, does not disrupt your existing config stored in NVRAM as long as you do not skip step 9. I was only trying to see if your configs had any thing to do with your existing problem.

Some IOS versions have incompatibilties with the hardware that you have, so you might even have to go through an IOS upgrade/downgrade in order to fix the crashes on the router. Sometimes crashes can be due to bad hardware, which I believe TAC has already changed the MoBo and RAM.

Can you also paste a capture of your boot sequence on this router ? Also do you know what IOS version is running on the router ? What other hardware network modules/wics do you have on this router ?

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card