cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Baseband/Broadband Question

Iluvnetwork
Level 1
Level 1

"The digital signal used in baseband transmission occupies the entire bandwidth of the network media to transmit a single data signal. Baseband communication is bidirectional, allowing computers to both send and receive data using a single cable. However, the sending and receiving cannot occur on the same wire at the same time. For signals to be both sent and received, the transmission media must be split into two channels. Alternatively, two cables can be used: one to send and one to receive transmissions."

If I correctly understood, my PC is supposed to not be able to send any data or packets while downloading. But I can send any data or packets while downloading. I feel like I am misunderstanding and missing something. Can anyone kindly help me understanding?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Iluvnetwork

Yes you use Baseband and yes you can send and receive data at the same time.

This happen because your PC connects to an FastEthernet network have actually "two" cables just like described on the link you shared.

You may not see it because ethernet cables is divided in wires and put in the same involucre.

If you open up the ethernet cable you are going to see 8 wires. Two of them (brown) is not used. Then you have two blue (TX + and TX-) and two orange(RX+ and RX-). This way you can send and receive data like is described on the document.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hi @Iluvnetwork

Yes you use Baseband and yes you can send and receive data at the same time.

This happen because your PC connects to an FastEthernet network have actually "two" cables just like described on the link you shared.

You may not see it because ethernet cables is divided in wires and put in the same involucre.

If you open up the ethernet cable you are going to see 8 wires. Two of them (brown) is not used. Then you have two blue (TX + and TX-) and two orange(RX+ and RX-). This way you can send and receive data like is described on the document.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Thanks a lot :)
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card