Views
Helpful
Replies

Beginner Default Routing Question

Tom101
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I am trying to wrap my head around default routing. Can anybody explain to me why these L3 switches cannot ping each other.

I have two L3 Switches acting as a routing device.

Switch 1 config: 

ip routing

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 20.20.20.20

interface FastEthernet0/1

no switchport

ip address 10.10.10.10 255.255.255.0

duplex auto

speed auto

Switch 2 config: 

ip routing

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.10.10.10

no switchport

ip address 20.20.20.20 255.255.255.0

duplex auto

speed auto

Attached is a screenshot of the topology and a packet tracer file. Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

both interfaces need to have an IP address in the same subnet. Attached the revised file...

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I can't open your file but the configurations you posted do not match the diagram. 

You need to use the same subnet on both switches eg. 10.10.10.10/24 on switch 1 and 10.10.10.11/24 on switch 2 and then they will be able to ping but you don't need a default route for that. 

Jon

Sorry my bad. I have fixed the configuration. 

Both switches are on different networks. I have attached another copy of the packet tracer, hopefully that works. It's packet tracer version 8.1.1. 

I don't have PT so I'll leave to Georg. 

Jon

Hello,

I still cannot open the file, it is still an invalid format. 

Hello,

the .pkt file you sent is invalid.

Either way, you are using the same IP address, 10.10.10.10/24 on both interfaces. Change one of the IP addresses to 10.10.10.9/24. You do not need any static routing at all, as the interfaces are directly connected.

I have fixed the question. Didn't realise it was wrong.

Please try another packet tracer file. Not sure why it wouldn't open. I'm using version 8.1.1.

Strange, I'm not sure. Can open it fine on my computer. 

Is there away to configure it so they're on different networks and without vlans? Is that possible with default routing? 

Hello,

both interfaces need to have an IP address in the same subnet. Attached the revised file...

I see. So it's not possible with static or default routing? 

Hello,

static default routes are in there, but you don't need them, as both interfaces are on the same subnet, and directly connected...

I just looked at your reverse packet tracer file, and it's all starting to make a lot more sense now  

Thank you, that was really helpful. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card