cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best Equipment

saime_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, i have a 1841 with a serial interface with a frame-relay circuit, and now the isp gave me and MetroEthernet connection. I want to have both services. Which equipment do you recommend to me for this enviroment??? I need a router who can handle serial interfaces and al least 4 fa/ge.

I dont want any huge equipment.

Thanks in advance

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
the isp gave me and MetroEthernet connection. I want to have both services. Which equipment do you recommend to me for this enviroment???

What speed is this service?

interfaces and al least 4 fa/ge.

4 Fast/Gig ports plus serial?

The 2900 ISR G2 is a good bet.  It has 3 GigabitEthernet ports on-board and you'll need to get an addditional copper port, you can get either the EHWIC-1GE-SFP-CU if you want a Gig interface or HWIC-2FE or HWIC-1FE if FastEthernet interface is good enough.

For the serial, the 2900 will support HWIC-1T, HWIC-2T and HWIC-4T.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Choice of equipment also depends on features and performance requirements.  Most small routers, although they might have four FastEthernet ports, often cannot handle even one FastEthernet port at line-rate (Cisco recommends a 3925 for single 100 Mbps WAN).  For gig, especially multi-gig, you need a very high end router.

On the other hand, even a small L3 switch can usually easily handle multiple gig ports although without all the features available on a router, but this might be acceptable for an internal MAN.  If it is, you might look at the 8 port 3560.

PS:

If you go with a small L3 switch, retain the 1841 for the existing circuit.  No reason you can't use both.

as suggested above you can go with 1941, or 2900 series just check the data sheet of each one and make sure you can get what you looking for intermis of interfaces

just note regarding using a switch, actully i do not recomend you to use a switch if you have the choice for WAN connection

for many reasons such as if you might gonna use or implement load balancing or load sharing routers better, Switch are very limited interns of QoS polices for WAN

HTH

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information  contained within this posting without consideration and with the  reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability  or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational  purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional  advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at  reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I'm unaware of major benefit for using a router vs. a L3 switch regarding load balancing or load sharing.  I would appreciate learning what you have in mind.

On QoS, routers are definitely much more featured.  However, L3 switches do offer some QoS features (some more on Metro switches), and with additional bandwidth with Ethernet handoffs, these QoS features often are sufficient, as they are on many LANs (with similar bandwidths).

In terms of performance, there's no comparison, even though the latest 1900 and 2900 routers are much improved vs. their immediate predecessors.  For comparison, a 1941 (and 2901) is RFC 2544 rated at 330 Kpps; the 2951 at 579 Kpps.  The 3560-8PC is rated at 2,700 Kpps.  When you consider a single 100 Mbps (duplex) FastEthernet link requires 297.6 Kpps, you can easily see how a small WAN router can be overloaded.

Again, though, I'm recommending neither a router or L3 switch, just noting the latter might also be additionally considered when analyzing all requirements, but if a L3 switch is used, I do suggest consider using both a small router and L3 switch to capitalize on the strengths of  both devices.  (NB: since small L3 switches don't support traditional WAN interfaces, i.e. the current frame-relay, you'll need a device besides it.)

i think you right about LB i just mixed up i was thinking about NAT but put PBR and LB

anyway, the switch as edge device is still an option but it lack to or not as good as router ( excluding high end switches here ) in the following:

- NAT

- security features ZBFW, VPN ..etc

- other than FC,Ethernet interfaces you can not get FR, serial for example

- QoS except in the metro 3750 it is very limited ( hardware queues almost ) while the router provide you with more QoS polices features and capabilities

- not to mention if you want to use GRE tunnels for whatever reason for example passing Multicast traffic over the WAN Cisco Switches do not support GRE tunneling as tunnel end point !

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card