Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP advertisement.

tushar47
Level 1
Level 1

Dear sir,

I am working in Class A ISP. Can i advertise IP Pool less then 256 IPs in BGP.

ie. /25 prefix instead of /24 prefix IP Pool.

Regards,

Ashu

3 Replies 3

mhussein
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I don't know if there is a clear cut answer. Most service providers filter prefixes longer than 24, e.g NEN http://www.newedgenetworks.com/about/legal/bgp4.php So if you advertise a /25, there is a very good chance that it will be blackholed somewhere upstream.

That being said, there are actually /25 and /26 prefixes making the round, e.g AS10026. Try any of the route-servers at www.traceroute.org and use "sho ip bgp cidr-only | inc /25" to investigate.

Your best bet is to check with your peer/upstream to find out what thier policy is.

HTH,

Mustafa

I can't think of any carriers that will accept advertisements longer than /24.

ashok_boin
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

Yes, even big ISPs also allowing only up to /24. You need to work with your ISP to permit /25 but you cann't control your ISP's ISP OR the third party ISPs policies. I meant to say that even if you can convince your ISP to advertise, the next level ISP won't allow /25 to be advertised.

And also it's really not a good idea to advertise less than /24 prefixes in Internet as it is already crossed more than one lakh prefixes with existing routing policies.

Thank you,

-Ashok.

With best regards...
Ashok
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card