Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP and Conditionally Advertisement

Hi,

Just a quick one...

Do deny statement in prefix-list / access-list works for advertise-map in BGP conditional advertisement ??

I tried a lot of combinations, but it is not working; so just need to confirm is there anything I'm missing.

PS: Talking about the deny statement in prefix-list / Access-list in route-map for Advertise-map and NOT non-exist-map or exist-map.

Regards,

Smitesh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Smitesh,

your test results show that a prefix matching a deny statement in a prefix-list invoked in the advertise-map is NOT processed by the BGP conditional advertisement feature, and so it is always advertised regardless of exist-map or non-exist-map.

This makes sense as the advertise-map should list the IP prefixes to be advertised conditionally depending on the state of the exist-map or non-exist-map.

All IP prefixes not matching the advertise-map are not considered for conditionally advertising including those matching a deny statement in the IP prefix-list invoked within the advertise-map.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

you need to permit the prefixes you want to conditionnaly advertise.

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Hello,

Are you specifying an condition for the advertised route?

Pleaser post you confg for this conditional route advertisement?

res
paul

Please don't forget to rate this post if it has been helpful.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Cadet,

Thanks for your feedback; so shall I take that as deny statements in prefix-list /access-list are ignored irrespective of whether it is advertise-map or exist-map or non-exist-map.

Regards,

Smitesh

Hello

I am not clear on what you are trying to achieve with your deny statements?

If you want to deny or permit a specific route in aggregation, then suppress-map can be used.

The suppress-map logic can use deny/permit acls, with the logic of :
Permit=suprress the route
Deny =not to suppress the route

Advertise-map are to determine what AS path information is retained when performing aggregation on the basis that only if a more specific route of the aggregate is in the bgp table and the as-set option applied.

This can be accomplished by acl or ip as-path acl using permit statements.

res

Paul.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

Aggregation and suppress-map are not classified as conditional advertisement as far as Cisco DOC goes.

Secondly, Its was not something of production issue, but I was just playing around with BGP in dynnamips ( haven't saved configs ). So where I discovered that

neighbour X.X.X.X advrtise-map ABC exist-map/non-exist-map XYZ

It is documented in cisco DOCs even that deny statement in the prefix-list / access-list in route-map associated with exist-map or non-exist-map ( as per above XYZ )are ignored; however nothing has been said about advertise-map.

When I was playing with the same, I found that any deny statement in prefix-list/ access-list associated with route-map for advertise-map ( as per above ABC ) doesn't have any effect; whatsoever logic you try to implement.

Regards,

Smitesh

Hello Smitesh -

I mis-understood your use of the advertise-map, I thought it had to do with you performing aggregation, going by your first query -PS: Talking about the deny statement in prefix-list / Access-list in route-map for Advertise-map and NOT non-exist-map or exist-map

So i took this as you didn't want the conditional part of the exist-map or not exist maps to be included, so that's  why I wrongly steered you towards to aggregation and using the suppress-map option.

res

Paul

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi,

the prefixes to advertise have to be permitted in the prefix-list matched in the advertised-map

Regards

Alain

Hi Alain,

Thanks again, so deny statements in prefix-list matched in the advertise-map are ignored ??

Thats what my question is.

Regards,

Smitesh

Hi,

they are not advertised, doe that answer your question ?

Regards

Alain

Alain,

Unfortunately, whether the condition ( exist-map or non-exist-map ) is true or false; what I have observered is that prefixes which are denied are always advertised.

Regards,

Smitesh

Hello Smitesh,

your test results show that a prefix matching a deny statement in a prefix-list invoked in the advertise-map is NOT processed by the BGP conditional advertisement feature, and so it is always advertised regardless of exist-map or non-exist-map.

This makes sense as the advertise-map should list the IP prefixes to be advertised conditionally depending on the state of the exist-map or non-exist-map.

All IP prefixes not matching the advertise-map are not considered for conditionally advertising including those matching a deny statement in the IP prefix-list invoked within the advertise-map.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Bibin Paul
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Smithesh,

If u r using deny statement in prefixlist go for exist map nd if u r using permit prefixlist the go for non exist map

Hi Bibin,

You talking about deny statement in prefix-list matched for exist-map / non-exist-map ??

If thats the case, then deny statement matched in exist-map / non-exist-map are ignored.

And if you talking about deny statements in prefix-list matched in advertise-map, do you have any working solution you can present ? Asking as I have tried every possible logics for route-map.

Regards,

Smitesh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: