Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP failover with 2 ISPs

rwakagabo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

can anyone help to provide BGP configuration that can implement failover between 2 ISPs, 

i have BGP session with 2 different ISPs, i am receiving the default route from them, and i am advertising my network to both ISPs.

sh ip bgp

Network          Next Hop            Metric LocPrf Weight Path

*  0.0.0.0          E.F.G.H                          0 XXX   ZZZ i

*>                    A.B.C.D                        0 YYY    QQQ i

If ISP 1 (A.B.C.D) most preferred is down, switchover is done automatic ??

regards,

Janvier R. 

2 Replies 2

Jerome BERTHIER
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

If you are receiving a default route and advertising your networks on each side, it should work like a charm.

The convergence time might be slower depending of the cause of the breakdown. If your routeur is directly connected to those of your ISP, it should be very quick (interface down then flush of session and routes). If not, you might need bfd to be more fast to use the other link.

You can check it for each peer :

* check received prefixes : sh ip bgp neigh <IP_PEER> received

* check advertised prefixes : sh ip bgp neigh <IP_PEER> adverti

If you want to select wich default route will be priorised then you can add metric on the received route with a route map.

Your ISP might have an online looking glass tool to verify the state of your networks.

Edit 08/10/2018 : Sorry I forgot to mention that your network prefix need to be "Provider Independant". If it is "Provider Aggregatable", it will not be possible to transit through two differents ISPs or there will need to adapt their routing policy to process your prefix.

So, it might be necessary to get two PA networks and to use NAT to convert each other depending on wich ISP you traffic is occuring.

Regards

Jérôme

sivam siva
Level 3
Level 3

yes, your primary link ( isp1) goes down means , secondary( isp 2) will forward the traffic.

to config the ISP 1 as primary use the route-map and BGP attributes ,

configure the conditional route advertisement it would be best in the fail-over  situation .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me85086UhtY

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card