cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP - How to create redundant path by bgp (as path prepend alternative)

popularbhaskar
Level 1
Level 1

I am having issues with BGP seeing the advertised routes. I am trying to find an alternate to AS-Path prepend and trying to use bgp instead for a redundant path.

Setup:-

We have 3 mpls sites. (in reality its more than 20 but for simplicity we will call that 3).  The 3 sites are SiteA , SiteB and siteC.  I have simplified the issue below.

SiteA - Has MPLS link running eBGP with AS 300.

SiteB - Has MPLS link running eBGP with AS 200

SiteC- Has MPLS link running eBGP with AS 100

Site B and C has a local LAN connection between each other.  Site A and B and C are on BGP network. Site A can see B and C and so on.

Issue:

I have established eBGP neighbor relationship between B and C using multihop using the private link between two private interface ip address. I can see them as neighbors.

When i advertise the network of site B at site C i see that in the advertised routes on site C when i run sh ip bgp nei x.x.x.x advertised-routes but i don't see that at site A when i run "show ip bgp"

From Site A:

When i run show ip bgp : I was expecting to see...

20.20.20.20  - is reachable as As200 -i

Also..

20.20.20.20  - As100 - 200 - i  (i don't see this)

That way it will be a backup path instead of using as-path prepend.

Can you throw some ldeas as to what i am missing. If i am not clear enough let me know and i will provide more details.

2 Replies 2

Hello

when you say "advertise network from site B at site C"

how are you doing this.?

For a route to be advertised in bgp it's need to be in the rib of the advertising router

so if you have just applied a network statement (bgp table) for site B at site C and site C route doesn't have a valid prefix in its routing table it won't get advertised to site A

Site C router

Sh ip route x.x.x.x

sh ip bgp x.x.x.x

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Thanks for responding. i have added a prefix list for filtering outbound. I was hoping that it will learn that route through the bgp network statement.

ie.. I have added network B at C and network C at B. They both are neighbors and when i see advertised routes and received routes i can see the routes. 

How should i proceed or any guidance would help..

From site C i want to see below when i do show ip bgp for 20.20.20.20.

20.20.20.20  - is reachable as As200 -i

20.20.20.20  - As100 - 200 - i  (i don't see this)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card