Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP + HSRP

israel.dutra
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone!

Imagine there are 2 routers configured with HSRP with IP addresses R-01 (active) 10.0.0.1,  R-02 (standby) 10.0.0.2 and VIP 10.0.0.5.

A third router R-03 (10.0.0.3) estabilishes BGP neighborship with the virtual IP address (10.0.0.5) and then the R-01 fails.

The router R-02 would be able to communicate properly?

I think that if while  R-01 is the active, the Routing Table of R-02 would be empty.

I imagine that after the switchover, R-02 will begin to learn routes from BGP and it might take some time until the network continue to communicate properly.

Is there a way to sync the routing table of R-02 with R-01 while R-02 is still the standby?

Please let me know if there is another routing protocol or a better design to this case.

Thank you in advance!!!

2 Replies 2

pman
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi,

So you basically want to establish a BGP peer with a virtual IP

you can do it and it will work but convergence will be slower than if you had a BGP session between R-03 - R-01 and another one between R-03 - R-02 because BGP session will need to reestablish when a fail over occurs.

Of course it is advisable to add a BGP peer between R-01 and R-02.

You have enough features that can give you a quick answer in case of R-01 or R-02 peer is down. BFD for BGP for example.

BFD for BGP is a significantly faster convergence time then HSRP timers.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card