Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP - invalid or corrupt AS path

Eric Snijders
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We're trying to set up a eBGP connection between a Cisco C3850 (our side) and a Nexus 7000 (customer side).

First i got "mal-formatted" messages from the Nexus 7000. The Nexus side configured "dont-capability-negotiate" and now i'm getting the following error:

Nov  7 08:03:21.580: %BGP-3-NOTIFICATION: received from neighbor 172.24.254.168 3/11 (invalid or corrupt AS path) 7 bytes 40020402 01FFFF

Neighbor configuration for this one is configured as followed:

neighbor 172.24.254.168 remote-as 65011
 neighbor 172.24.254.168 description eBGP XYZ
 neighbor 172.24.254.168 password 7 ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP
 neighbor 172.24.254.168 version 4
 neighbor 172.24.254.168 next-hop-self
 neighbor 172.24.254.168 soft-reconfiguration inbound
 neighbor 172.24.254.168 prefix-list Prefix-XYZ in
 neighbor 172.24.254.168 prefix-list YXZ-Prefix out

Does anyone have a suggestion what we could try, i'm lost right now...

Thanks in advance!

Eric

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

neighbor 172.24.254.168 dont-capability-negotiate  <-- This is used when two peers have conflicting capabilities , but i don't see this applied?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hello,

my first thought is, the line below is the culprit, can you take that out ?

--> neighbor 172.24.254.168 version 4

Hello

neighbor 172.24.254.168 dont-capability-negotiate  <-- This is used when two peers have conflicting capabilities , but i don't see this applied?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

You were right, i just applied dont-capability-negotiate to this neighbor and BGP is established. I thought that command only had to be applied to the sending side (in this case the peer), but it appears you need it on both sides.

Problem solved!

Thanks all!

Hello Eric

Glad it worked for you.

FYI - As the routers try to establish a peering they need to negotiate each other capabilities and if they cannot then they wnt establish

Example:
sh ip bgp neighbors | s Neighbor capabilities
 Neighbor capabilities:
    Route refresh: advertised and received(new)
    Four-octets ASN Capability: advertised and received   <------------------------- advertised and received means  both sides are supporting
    Address family IPv4 Unicast: advertised and received<------------------------- advertised and received means  both sides are supporting
    Multisession Capability:

Neighbor capabilities:
    Route refresh: advertised <------------------------- Trying to negotiate with neighbor
    Four-octets ASN Capability: advertised <------------------------- Trying to negotiate with neighbor
    Address family IPv4 Unicast: advertised and received  <-------------------------Both sides are supporting
    Multisession Capability:

Applying neighbor x.x.x.x dont-capability-negotiate - negates this conflicting capability so allows peering

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card