Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP MULTIHOMING

rooland12
Level 1
Level 1

Helo everyone,

I need help in setting up the routing policy for multihoming. The scenario is we have 1 router connected to ISPA and ISPB. For few destinations I have given higher weight attribute so that it exit through ISPA  and few other destinations through ISPB(higher weight attribute) .

How can I make sure that the reverse route is same as the forward path. For example: For Destination1 packet is  exiting through ISPA ,then how to make sure that return traffic comes through ISPA only but not through ISPB.

I hope you understand the scenario

Regards,

Rooland

4 Replies 4

rooland12
Level 1
Level 1

Any input would be helpful....

You can use AS path-prepending to advertise a longer AS path to one provider and/or BGP communities to influence the local preference on the provider site.

See http://blog.ioshints.info/2008/02/bgp-essentials-as-path-prepending.html for more information about both options and the configuration of the AS-path prepend option.

Regards

Jasper

Hi Jasper,

Thanks for the response...

But I think I can use AS path-prepaending/BGP comunities only in ACTIVE/STANDBY connection style.

In my scenario, both ISP's are active .

My requirement is that traffice going out of ISP A should return through ISP A, vice versa traffice going out throught ISP B should return through ISP B.

Routing is uni-directional so this is not possible because you cannot influence the way the returning traffic flows based on the source addres of that returning traffic.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco