Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP on Switch Cisco 3550

Natha340Mai340
Level 1
Level 1

Hello people,

I need deploy a BGP with two ISPs exchanging routes with the Internet.

My company has a Switch 3550 as follow specification below

Cisco WS-C3550-48 (PowerPC) processor (revision E0) with 65526K/8192K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID CHK0629V0F1

Last reset from warm-reset

Running Layer2/3 Switching Image

Cisco IOS Software, C3550 Software (C3550-IPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.2(25)SEB4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

I Should like a tip about that switch going be support that implementation. for exemplo it has 64MB as showed above.

I'm afraid it come to crush.

some tip about what devices are advisable to deploy BGP exchange routes with Internet is welcome

That Switch it will be dedicated for BGP.

thanks.

6 Replies 6

jawad-mukhtar
Level 4
Level 4

Most layer 3 switches,do not have TCAMs large  enough to allow the routing engine to hold Internet-scale routing  tables. It can easily do LAN routing, but you're probably  not going to get away with running BGP on it.

Jawad

Thank you Jawad,

Do you know any Cisco router support that deployment ?

Hello people,

anyone has any tip about which model router Cisco I can use for deployment BGP exchange all routing table with Internet ?

I don't want purchase the high end model I need that deivice does BGP with two ISPs.

any tip abut how to find that information is welcome

thanks

What is your total WAN speed like?

Hello Leo, I have two link of the 10MB each

thanks

Vignesh Rajendran Praveen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Yes. As you mentioned 64 MB is definitely not sufficient to hold the entire internet routing table. It would definitely create huge issues. The minimum memory requirement to support the full internet routing table is 512 MB dedicated for the BGP process alone. You can keep this in mind while selecting a device. My choice would be a Cisco ASR1K device.

***********Plz do rate this post if you found it helpful*************************

Thanks & Regards,

Vignesh R P

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card