cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP - post installation test

Liam Dwyer
Level 1
Level 1

All, we are having the BGP algorithm programmed on Monday night for our circuit.

I have some benchmark tests in mind for before and after however, is there anything specific that I can test that I may not be thinking of for any kind of degradation on the circuits after the BGP goes live?

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

Vignesh Rajendran Praveen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Liam,

Kindly let me know what are the tests you have in mind so that I can suggest if you have left out something.

Thanks & Regards,

Vignesh R P

Well, I currently have monitoring on my circuit via PRTG. I was going to take some snapshots from that application on Monday and compare with Tuesday.  I was going to do some speedtest from OOKLA.

As well as some timed web browsing but I am so new to BGP that I am not sure that would be enough.

Is there anything I can do from the router end of things??
Thanks for the help! 

Hi Liam,

The basic test I would recommend you to do is to have the output of the below show command verified.

"show ip bgp summary"

The ouptut of this command will let you know if the BGP session has reached an estableshed state & exchanging prefixes with your neighbor. Also will show the number of prefixes recieved from the BGP neighbor. If you find any discrepancies in this output you can further trouble shoot with the help of the below document.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a008009478a.shtml

Hope this helps.

***********Plz do rate this post if you found it helpful*************************

Thanks & Regards,

Vignesh R P

Thank you sir! I will do that on Tuesday morning.

I will also do the other tests for latency and speed.

thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card