cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP question about learning routes

Steven Williams
Level 4
Level 4

iBGP uses the the same AS throughout your network from end to end right.

So I have three routers connected to each other all using the same AS number and all peering, how does router 1 know about the networks that router 3 is advertising?                 

22 Replies 22

well tha kind of sucks, i was hoping it could be there as a backup route.

Steven

I'm not that familiar with nexus switches do the switches not see the same routes as each other ?

Jon

Each nexus can only see its own connected link to the 10.170.199.0/29 network, because if nexus 1 could see the other 10.170.199.8/29 subnet it would push traffic over the peerlink that connect the 2 nexus devices together and you are not suppose to that because the link is for vPC traffic only. Did that make sense?

Yes it does.

I'm pretty sure it's failing because on the MPLS router it's the same neighbor address.

Well if each n5k was a route reflector then the MPLS and bottom routers would peer with each n5k so you would not get the issues of the same address. Unfortunately i don't have a lab to test and i don't know if this would require an IBGP connection between the actual 2 n5ks which may well use the peerlink. So i can't say for sure that is a solution.

Is there a possibility of running an IGP such as OSPF or EIGRP between the n5ks and the bottom router and then redistribute BGP learned routes into the IGP. Then the bottom router would see equal cost paths. If you wanted to use one path and only use the other for backup you can influence the metrics when you redsitribute.

But i appreciate this could be a big change in your network.

Jon

daymo2584
Level 1
Level 1

HELP!!! hi i was wondering if you could help me i brought an ap1131ag hoping  i could use it as like a second  wireless router so i can use internet in all rooms of my house as signal is unreachable in some. i just carnt make sense of the instruction im not sure how to do this . if you could send me down the right track it would be a great help and i find the rest of the way thnx

I'm not a wireless person but we do have wireless forums on these sites so i would recommend posting in there.

Jon

Nothing to do with BGP my friend. Try moving your post to another discusison area.

Jon -

Would BGP confederations work in this scenario as well? I know its a small network, but just trying to figure out what could have been done. I did get it working with an additional neighbor statement on each router, top and bottom.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card