cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Redistribution Question

doliver
Level 1
Level 1

My 40 site company is currently moving from a predominantly ‘site-to-site’ IPSec VPN solution (Hub and Spoke), to a L3VPN (MPLS) solution with our Telco carrier. I have a question that I am hoping will assist in our migration. Our provider is requesting that we use BGP4 on our CE routers (no problems there), but I currently have 4 sites that have 100MB MetroE circuits and are running EIGRP in a hub-and-spoke configuration. These sites will need to exchange routing information with the other 36 sites that will be utilizing BGP (Our hub EIGRP router will also be our CE router at our main site). My first thought is to mutually redistribute EIGRP into BGP and visa versa, but I’m not sure that is the best solution. Is there a better solution (i.e. static routes to the MetroE sites since there will be only 4, and redistribute static and connected).

I know that this seems like a simple problem, but I want to design this right the first time.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Dean

1 Reply 1

wdrootz
Level 4
Level 4

When configuring Static routes instead of mutual redistirbution, static routes are not redistributed to another autnomous system .

Route redistribution is used to propagate routes that are statically configured or learned through one routing protocol into another routing protocol. However, at times, the static routes might not get redistributed into various protocols or might not get propagated to other routers in the network for any of these following reasons .

Route filters denying routes from being redistributed or propagated

1. A metric not configured for the redistributed routes.

2. Discontiguous network addressing with a classful routing protocol like Routing Information Protocol version 1 (RIPv1) or Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (IGRP)

3. Absence of subnet keyword in the redistribute command when redistributing into Open Shortest Path First (OSPF)

4. Misconfiguration of the level into which the static route is redistributed when configuring redistribution into Integrated Intermediate System-to-Intermediate System (ISIS)

5. Auto-summarization is enabled when redistributing into Border Gateway Protocol (BGP).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card