cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Redistribution via route map

g.watt
Level 1
Level 1

I have a test lab set up and trying to redistribute a route into BGP using a route map, I have AS100 containing two routers r1 & r2, there is also EIGRP running between these two routers. I have created a loopback address of 10.10.10.1/32 on r2, when I do a show ip route on r2 I can see the route being advertised via BGP with an origin of ? however on r1 I don not see any routes being propagated via BGP, I see the routers have a BGP peering session however no routes. Synchronization is off. Can anyone offer some advice?

5 Replies 5

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The prefix is probably filtered out by the route-map. Could you post the route-map and the BGP config.

Thanks,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

vladrac-ccna
Level 5
Level 5

First try to see if the router is sending the routes out

on r2:

show ip bgp neighor x.x.x.x advertised-routes

if it is :

on r1: show ip bgp neighbor x.x.x.x routes

There are many reasons for why a route is not advertised or not installed in the BGP table or not installed in the routing table.

Let us know,

Vlad

I think it would be relevant to see if the prefix is being locally originated before looking at whether it is being advertised to the peer or not.

show ip bgp 10.10.10.1 would tell you just that. But as I posted before I highly suspect that the issue might be with the route being filtered out while redistributing it into BGP.

Hope this helps,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hello, I thought he had said that he saw the route as BGP on his routing table.

vlad

Vladimir,

You are totally correct. According to the original post the bgp prefix is seen with an origin of incomplete.

I would still like to see the "show ip bgp 10.10.10.1" from both r1 and r2 to find out what is going on with that prefix.

Thanks,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco