cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Route Reflector Design

davidhuynh5
Level 1
Level 1

Please review the attachment. If I have five iBGP routers in AS 64512 and one of the iBGP router has an eBGP peer to a different AS, which iBGP router (r1, r2, r4, r5, or r8) should I chose to be my route reflector and why?

Also, what happens if the route reflector router fails? Do I designate a backup route reflector? Sorry, I'm new to BGP.

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would reflect on R4 and R5 because they are 'central' routers per your topology. It's wise to have a backup reflector if you want full redundancy.

View solution in original post

Ma Juner
Level 1
Level 1

hi david,

Route reflector just need a logic bgp peer relation with it's client, so any router(r1,r2,r4,r5,r8) can be selected as the Route Reflector. For some route optimize and link safety against failure, the Route Reflector should have one or more direct physical connect to the cor router in the network. 

In your network topology, if you deploy only one router reflector, I think chose one from R1 R2 R4.

And you must consider the real physical link data stream utilization factor and bandwidth factor.

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

IMHO, if you want to avoid any single point of failure, you need a hierarchical RR in your topology.

I.e.:

R8 being a client of R5 and R4

R5 being a client of R2 and R4

In a case of any router failure (except of R1, of course) all other routers within AS64512 will still receive the eBGP prefixes reflected.

Depending on your IGP, you might also need to use next-hop-self to ensure the outgoing packets to reach R1.

HTH,

Milan

I agree with Edison R4 and 5 best option especially if you can add additional link from R2 to R4 to have it fully redundant

Also you might think about putting each bgp RR in deferent bgp cluster (cluster ID )

Hope this help

If helpful rate

4 Replies 4

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would reflect on R4 and R5 because they are 'central' routers per your topology. It's wise to have a backup reflector if you want full redundancy.

Ma Juner
Level 1
Level 1

hi david,

Route reflector just need a logic bgp peer relation with it's client, so any router(r1,r2,r4,r5,r8) can be selected as the Route Reflector. For some route optimize and link safety against failure, the Route Reflector should have one or more direct physical connect to the cor router in the network. 

In your network topology, if you deploy only one router reflector, I think chose one from R1 R2 R4.

And you must consider the real physical link data stream utilization factor and bandwidth factor.

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

IMHO, if you want to avoid any single point of failure, you need a hierarchical RR in your topology.

I.e.:

R8 being a client of R5 and R4

R5 being a client of R2 and R4

In a case of any router failure (except of R1, of course) all other routers within AS64512 will still receive the eBGP prefixes reflected.

Depending on your IGP, you might also need to use next-hop-self to ensure the outgoing packets to reach R1.

HTH,

Milan

I agree with Edison R4 and 5 best option especially if you can add additional link from R2 to R4 to have it fully redundant

Also you might think about putting each bgp RR in deferent bgp cluster (cluster ID )

Hope this help

If helpful rate

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco