Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Router ID/Neighbor Address

So I am posting this because I can't seem to wrap my head around it.  It is the first time I have ever seen something like it before and while I will admit that my experience is limited I was not aware that this was possible or how it works.  I am using different ips than what is on my network but everything else was cut and pasted.  Please see below.  Can someone explain why or how it works with the router ID being the same as the neighbor address.  I didn't think this was possible.

router bgp 65102
bgp router-id 10.168.88.106
bgp log-neighbor-changes
network x.x.x.0 mask 255.255.255.0
network x.x.x.0 mask 255.255.255.0
neighbor 10.168.88.106 remote-as 13979
neighbor 10.168.88.106 allowas-in
neighbor 10.168.88.106 soft-reconfiguration inbound

2 Replies 2

Hi,

Please correct me if I understanding wrong the question, but It can work being the same address (except if 2 or more routers have the same router-id) , probably the router-id is a loopback IP and the BGP peering is being created with the loopback known through a NLRI like RIP, EIGRP, OSPF, ISIS, etc or static routing. Once the BGP process is created it will create an identifier with a valid IP, so you could select your own ID as well to avoid leave it randomly.

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Brandon,

IOS only checks that the router ID is a valid IP address, hence why it works for you. 

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card