cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP - summary-aggregate with unsuppress-map

Garry Peirce
Level 1
Level 1

I can't seem to find the answer to what I think should be an straightforward questions, so to the forums I go.

First,

I've a network that is advertised via BGP through an aggregate-summary.

However on one peer I wish to allow prefixes that have a certain community tag associated to them so I added an unsuppress-map.

I have the config in place and it continues to show the route as suppressed by an aggregate.

Is the unsuppress-map route-map only allowed to match on an address prefix type and not, as in my case, by matching a community value?

Appreciate if there's some doc pointing what type of matches in an unsuppress-map are allowed.

Secondly,

what is the order of operation when there is an outbound route-map along with an unsuppress-map used on the same peering?

TIA,

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Garry,

can you provide the configuration elements of the aggregate, the unsuppress-map and the outbound route-map to the neighbor?

I see the suppress-map or the advertise-map as options with aggregate-address command

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/iproute_bgp/command/irg-cr-book/bgp-a1.html#wp2343576123

Interesting, you are using the neighbor unsupress-map option as described here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/iproute_bgp/command/irg-cr-book/bgp-m1.html#wp2608184437

Usage Guidelines

Use of the neighbor unsuppress-map command allows specified suppressed routes to be advertised.

The example in the reference guide uses only IP ACLs to match routes.But this kind of examples are short and do not provide the whole scenario. There is no explicit limitation on the type of match you can perform.

And at the same time you are using also neighbor route-map <route-map> out

Are the unsuppressed routes also permitted by the route-map used outbound?

This is the first hint.

Your scenario is quite peculiar.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card