cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP ttl-security hops and traceroute

Adam Soukup
Level 1
Level 1

My router is peered to another via BGP. Pings are allowed but traceroute is not. I am trying to implement ttl security hops, but the configuration causes my peers to drop. It doesn't matter if I set the hop count from 1 to 250, same results. Is traceroute traffic required to use this feature?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @Adam Soukup ,

Is traceroute traffic required to use this feature?

traceroute is not used or required by this feature.

Make sure you configure "neighbor x.x.x.x ttl-security" on both neighbors. If the neighbors are directly connected, you need to use "neighbor x.x.x.x ttl-security hops 1" on both sides.

The issue with running the ttl-security only on one side, is that the eBGP neighbor not configured with this feature will send a TTL of 1 by default instead of TTL of 255 when the ttl-security feature is configured. This will cause the neighbor configured with the ttl-security feature to silently drop the packets and the BGP session not to come up.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @Adam Soukup ,

Is traceroute traffic required to use this feature?

traceroute is not used or required by this feature.

Make sure you configure "neighbor x.x.x.x ttl-security" on both neighbors. If the neighbors are directly connected, you need to use "neighbor x.x.x.x ttl-security hops 1" on both sides.

The issue with running the ttl-security only on one side, is that the eBGP neighbor not configured with this feature will send a TTL of 1 by default instead of TTL of 255 when the ttl-security feature is configured. This will cause the neighbor configured with the ttl-security feature to silently drop the packets and the BGP session not to come up.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Adam Soukup
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you Harold, perfect explanation. It sounds like I will need to coordinate with peer router owners. Thanks again.

You are very welcome Adam.

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México