cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP updates and memory

Warren
Level 1
Level 1

Question for you...I have a router 2821 that is running out of memory quickly, till I can upgrade the memory what can I do to lesson the memory strain on the router if any?? thank you in advance for your help

5 Replies 5

sean
Level 3
Level 3

The main question is what are you currently doing on your router? The subjec mentions BGP. If you are doing BGP peering on this router and taking full Internet tables, this is why you are running out of mem. Best thing to do would be to take partial routes or just a default route (if you are not multi-homed) until you can get a router that can handle the amount. If that is not the case, are you doing nat? Nat can be pretty hard on your resources if you have a lot of virus/worm traffic or p2p traffic heading out to the Internet. If these are not the case, you might have an IOS image that suffers from a mem leak. To fix this, you would just need to upgrade your IOS. Hope this helps.

yes we are taking in the full internet table,

vladrac-ccna
Level 5
Level 5

I agree with the first reply.

Also check this link might help:

Troubleshooting High CPU Caused by the BGP Scanner or BGP Router Process

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a00801c4f48.shtml

Vlad

agarciaiii
Level 1
Level 1

Here is another article that discusses how to optimize your memory use when running BGP.

BGP Memory Article

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094a83.shtml

Thank you everyone for replying the situation has been fixed by filtering routes that are directly connected to my peer so that way my router doesn't

have to keep track off all the routes on the internet. I found out that my router was keeping track of all the routes on the internet. Thank you again for all your help and suggestions I greatly appreciate it!!!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card