Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP vs. OSPF

Scott Hanson
Level 3
Level 3

Hello all,

I have inherited a multi-site network currently on an MPLS using BGP to route traffic between sites.  Can anyone give me feedback on what might be a better routing protocol to use?  I was thinking about OSPF.  All Cisco hardware with Cisco voice and video deployed at most site and soon to be all sites.

How hard will be be to migrate 20 sites from BGP to OSPF if OSPF is the better way to go.

Thanks in advance.  All replies rated.

3 Replies 3

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Scott,

Do you have any specific reason to change? Before you go any further, you should probably ask the service provider to find out if they even offer ospf as the PE CE routing protocol. Most of them only offer bgp or static.

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Personally, my preference is to run BGP at my gateways. Site-to-site VPN Tunnel my sites together and run EIGRP in an all Cisco environment.

In bigger environments OSPF might work better than EIGRP, but keep in mind the design of you areas. So they are not too big and make sure the backbone is contigeous. You could have a problem with linking all areas to area 0.

Any particular reason to go link state over distance vector?

Thanks everyone,

I just wanted to see if there was a better way to handle the intersite routing.  It looks like keeping BGP is the way to go.  Thanks everyone!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card