Views
Helpful
Replies

Branches no way to see each other

francisgamo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello eveyone,

This question was given to me by one of my friend who thinks he is master in cisco.

Q: There are 250 routers between two branches. Can you tell me why two branches are not possible to talk to each other even though they are connected to the cloud and all routing protocols are configured correctly.

thanks in advance

Francis

5 Replies 5

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There are way too many variables to answer this question....Is there something more specific that you can ask?

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

Francis Gamo wrote:

Hello eveyone,

This question was given to me by one of my friend who thinks he is master in cisco.

Q: There are 250 routers between two branches. Can you tell me why two branches are not possible to talk to each other even though they are connected to the cloud and all routing protocols are configured correctly.

thanks in advance

Francis

Assuming the question you've quoted is valid (250 routers between two branches? That's one *huge* network!), I can think of a number of reasons which could cause the issue.

The main would one which springs to mind would be too many router hops for the TTL on the packets in transit not to expire. The maximum value for TTL is 255 - with 250 routers between the two sites, all it needs is a couple of internal hops to be added and there's no way your packets would make it from one end to the other. There could also be routers in the middle which are configured to restrict the maximum TTL value before dropping the packet. The default value for maximum hops in IOS configurations is 100. Unless the network is specifically configured to allow a larger maximum hops value, that's where your packets are being dropped.

Cheers.

thanks for the info sir.

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Friendly advice: If you want to learn networking, stay practical, and away from "smart people" quizzes.

francisgamo
Level 1
Level 1

thanks to all replies, i learned new things from you. great suggestion sir paolo i'll be wise next time.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card