Views
Helpful
Replies

BSR and selcting RP problem

burhan.agir
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am using BSR for selecting auto RP and distribute on GNS3. I choose the O1 as RP and B1 as the backup RP. The BSR and RP information distribute between O1, A1, and B1 but other routers (B3, O3, A3, and A4) could not get this information. I could not find the reason!!!

I wrote "ip pim sparse-mode" command for all related interfaces.

I wrote "ip multicast-routing" command for all routers.

All static routing things are OK. All devices can ping the Loopback interfaces.

B1:

ip pim bsr-candidate Loopback0 1

ip pim rp-candidate Loopback0 priority 20

O1:

ip pim bsr-candidate Loopback0 1

ip pim rp-candidate Loopback0 priority 10

Note: I am using HSRP with second routers for redundancy. Example O1-O2.asdasd.png

20 Replies 20

Hello

@burhan.agir wrote:
Hello,

It's done! But this IP address is physical. When the router 1 goes down I could not reach this IP address. Should I write another static route with a higher preference for router2 physical IP address?

The issue is the vip address of the HRSP, the join request wont be seen on coming from a unknown source as its doesnt have a pim peer with it.

You can use a static mroute but I would suggest use a IGP and advertise your routes dynamically and also try applying pim redundancy to the hrsp group

int x.x
standby X name pim-failover
ip pim redundancy pim-failover dr priority xx

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello,

on a side note, I don't think that BSR works in an HSRP setup such as the one that you have. The reason being that the PIM Register tunnels are only created on the RP/BSR, and when the failover occurs, they are not replicated at the other HSRP router.

I recreated your setup in GNS3, but I couldn't get it to work either...

Hello

@Georg Pauwen did you apply a static mroute towards the physical pim peer of the edge rtr  as the default static route on the edge rtr is pointing the the vip address of the Hrsp and this address is not pim peered as such the mc join requests from the edge rtr will get ignored 

When an static mroute was applied  @burhan.agir stated it began to work - so going forward the resolution I suggested was to try and use the hrsp pim redundancy feature instead if a static mroute 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Actually, I did apply the mroute, but to the RP address of the e.g. B1 router...

Can you post the final full config ? I could never get the standby or the x3 routers to display the rp mappings correctly...

Either way, good stuff that it is working !

Hello,

Static mroute is ok. All edge routers learned RP and BSR IP address. Thank you for your suggestion but I could not use IGP and pim-redundancy command under HSRP interface in my topology due to some reason :)

When I implement the static mroute commands to edge routers, all routers learned. But when I ping from A3 to 225.1.1.1 O3 and B3 could not get this multicast ping packet. Just A4 get this packets. Although edge routers know the RP address why this packet not seen on the other edge routers?

By the way the interface configuration B3 and O3 is below.
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/0
ip address 10.51.100.1 255.255.255.0
ip pim sparse-mode
ip igmp join-group 226.1.1.1
ip igmp join-group 225.1.1.1
media-type gbic
speed 1000
duplex full
negotiation auto
!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card