Views
Helpful
Replies

BSTUN Protocol Issue

missengineer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I have a general question about some communication failure because of BSTUN protocol. Actually it is not certain but  my opinion. 

Issue is when I configure BSTUN protocol, this config running for a while but  after communication drop. I reset routers and communication is up again and it is running for a while. It is a loop. I solve it using serial / ethernet converter. I dont use BSTUN protocol. How can I solve this problem without use serial / ethernet converter? Just only want to use router. 

Thank you!

Th

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am a bit puzzled at this post. You say that you configure BSTUN "Issue is when I configure BSTUN protocol". But then you say that you are using serial/Ethernet converter. I am not aware of a solution for transmitting BSTUN that uses just the router.

You say that it works for a time and then stops working, you reset the router, and it starts working again. When you say reset the router are you meaning that you reboot the router? Is there any indication on the router (in logs, or in show interface, etc) of what made it stop? If you shut and no shut interfaces does it start again?

HTH

Rick

Hi Richard, 

I mean I can configure BSTUN protocol but it is not working stabil. 

"When you say reset the router are you meaning that you reboot the router?"  Yes I reboot router and it starts working and after it drops again.  there is not indicator on router for failure.   I can check this with  sh bstun command. 

I  just wonder that is there any solve without use converter.

I configured BSTUN way way back for a financial customer for automatic teller machines. I have a vague recollection of BSTUN support being dropped, but I haven't heard of it over 15 years. I know it could be done at one point, and this is the most recent config guide I have seen.

Bridging and IBM Networking Configuration Guide, Cisco IOS Release 15.0SY 

It is interesting that you are able to configure BSTUN and that the command show bstun works. Is logging enabled on this router? I would suggest setting the logging level to debug (at least for logging buffered) and to look into the log file after there has been an issue with BSTUN to see if there are any log messages.

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card