Views
Helpful
Replies

Bundling 2 PPPoE links using GLBP

luckymike33
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I wondered if anyone has any experience in bundling 2 fibre broadband links together, we need extra capacity for a wireless network that is used for guest wifi and testing purposes. The single circuit currenly has a b/w of around 50Mb, but I was thinking of ordering another circuit, and then running glbp between the 2 routers.

I have labbed this on gns3 and it seems to run fine - I just wondered if there are any known pitfalls to this?

Best wishes

Mike

2 Replies 2

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mike,

I am not entirely sure how you intend to combine PPPoE and GLBP together. Perhaps a diagram would be more descriptive. My primary concern is that GLBP is a mechanism to provide IP gateway redundancy - it does not apply to PPPoE sessions.

Could you explain this in more detail?

Best regards,
Peter

Hi Peter,

First of all my apologies for not responding sooner - I have put this on the back burner whilst studying for exams.

I should not have called these links PPPOE links, what they are fibre broadband links, so high bandwidth and occasional reliability issues. But by having multiple brodband circuits terminating, and utilizing GLBP between the 2 routers we would have a good way of configuring a default gateway for a guest wirelsss service for my employer. It would have redundancy, and half the clients would use one circuit ( and receive the appropriate dynamic nat), and the other half would use the other circuit (and be natted to that ip)

In the case of a failure, all clients would use a single circuit, and bandwidth would have to be shared by all.

I have attached a basic diagram.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Best wishes

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card