Views
Helpful
Replies

C2960X Switch Problem with reloading

John Katsoulas
Level 1
Level 1

Hello in the community.

I am faced with the following problem and I wonder if somebody could help me.

after having loaded a WS-C2960X-24PD-L switch with up-to-date-ios (c2960x-universalk9-tar.152-4.E8.tar) i tried to reload the switch with reload command.

The switch did not reload and instead it gets stuck before it even passes its POST with its fans at full speed. 

i also get the following reading on the console:

CPU rev: B
Image passed digital signature verification
Board rev: 18
Testing DataBus...
Testing AddressBus...
Testing Memory from 0x00000000 to 0x1fffffff...\

The backslash at the end showing that the memory test is running, stops turning.

Can somebody direct me as to what is gone wrong and what should the remedy be, if there is a remedy.

11 Replies 11

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Raise a TAC Case for an RMA.
This could be CSCvf24186.

Hi Leo,
Thx a lot for your time to reply. However, the Switch is not even reaching the stage where it checks its ROM.

The error i am getting is far before this stage.

Please raise a TAC Case and organize for an RMA.

Hello

When you power it on , try to de-press the mode button and see if the switch can enter rommon, if you can get that far you maybe able to boot to the old IOS on even tftp download another one.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello,

in addition to the other posts, have a look at the discussion below. In that particular case, it was a problem with the driver for the USB to serial adapter on the computer the user was using...might at least be worth a try to use a different computer...

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/problems-with-a-new-2960-x-switch/td-p/3096656

@Georg Pauwen 
Thats a good shout, thinking about it i had a simluar experience with usb-serial not so long ago, i was using the firewrie usb connection on a 3850 and when I went back to the onborad console port it worked like a treat. +5 @Georg Pauwen 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

thanks a lot for trying to help. But the switch does not go past the POST!

I will try to load without console cable but this was the initial problem.

The switch was upgraded with Cisco recommended ios and it failed the reload. And there was no console or firewire connected to it!

Does the switch have a stacking module?

Hi Leo,

not the switch stands alone.

BR

John

RMA the appliance.

Leo,

Thank you you for your immediate responses!

i will RMA the switch or contact a Cisco Partner and let the community know of the outcome, if i get one.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card