Views
Helpful
Replies

Cables length

b.shoresh
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone tell me:

1) The maximum length of the CAB-E1-DB15. So, If I order the standard cable (of 5m), and I want to make it longer, what is the maximum length ?

2) The maximum length of the console rollover cable.

3) What is the maximum recommended speed for the console to support reverse telnet ?

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

1. Dunno

2. Are you in position where you can't use patch panels?

3. Are you really a CCIE?

JG

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi B,

1) I think 5 m is the max lenght for this cable but still not sure.

2) The console cables required include a 10BaseT for RJ-45 connections to the network management system. This straight-through shielded connector is a standard Category 5 patch cable. Maximum cable length is 100 meters.

Check this link

http://www.avici.com/documentation/HTMLDocs/05292-00_revCA/c4-instcbls.html

3) What I have read somewhere that console port lacks reverse telnet capability and many devices mostly work fine only on 9600 baud rate only.

HTH

Ankur

shuzaimi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi B,

1- You can extend the lenght of that cable by using a "male gender-converter adapter" in the middle of both cables. The lenght depends on the number of gender converters. It is best practise not to extend the cables more than double of its original size.

2- You can use a gender converter as well. I've tried exteding it twice its original lenght and it works.

3- Reverse as in loopback ?

regards

sdoremus33
Level 3
Level 3

I belive the max speed for reverse telnet over a serial cable is 19200(Make sure cableis db-9||25--> to gender bender -->. to console, also the max lengh is 5m, also as the previous post you must use a gender converter, but do not do this more than once, otherwise the tx, rx,S to NR will be affected

sdoremus33
Level 3
Level 3

In my last poster I meant use the cable --> gender-bender --> to cable --> console. Sorry about that

Regards SLD

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco