cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can a Layer2 FastEthernet Port to upgraded to Layer3?

Chris Snape
Level 1
Level 1

Simple question here folks,

I have a SR520 router with the ADSL WAN built in.

I am looking to ignore the ADSL port and utilise the 4 FA ports to route between two networks.

Can I configure the ports on the switch part of the router to become Layer 3 and take there own Ip addresses?

If so I can save myself the purchase of a new router.

I have used loopbacks before but not sure that will work.

Regards,

Chris Snape

9 Replies 9

Outlawseven
Level 1
Level 1

Youll need to great vlans which are layer 3 and then put the appropriate layer 2 port into that vlan

Hi,

Your ADSL port is an WAN port right ? If you are able to issue "no switchport" on the fastethernet port you can your Fa Port as layer 3 port but i think your SR520 router would not be having L3 Fa port's.

Please refer the below link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps9305/data_sheet_c78-484356.html

You have to use your ASDL Wan port for routing and Fa port's for LAN.

Regds

Nitin

Yes, you can, as long as it is routable port on the router and if your router does have a switch module, then only SVI port will be routable as L3.

Hope that answers your question.

thanks

Rizwan Rafeek

Thanks for the responses chaps,

I need to put the IP address actually on the interface so Layer 2 Vlans won't be enough.

Having looked at the "no switchport" command within one of my fa interfaces I do get a submenu, but still note sure I can get a L3 address onto one of them. I have attached a screen grab.

someone else mentioned removing the fa port from the bridge to make it a L3 WAN port?

Basically the reason for this is my office is upgrading from Broadband to Fibre with a Ethernet NTU.

Regards,

Chris Snape

Hi,

By this output it means you cannot create a L3 port on Fastethernet with "no switchport". Here i think you only have the option to create an SVI but since you also need to connect it to a new link, and need to put an IP address under that interface this could only be done by getting an addtional hardware which have L2/L3 capability

Regards

Nitin

Damn! But thanks for the help.

What would you suggest for a basic L3 router? Don't need anything other than 2 Fa ports really.

1841?

Regards,

Chris Snape

Hi,

This is up to you really what you want to buy keeping in mind the price, support and scalability issues associated with the product you buy.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5853/eol_c51-625662.html

Regards

Nitin

Thanks for the info,

As budget is tight I have gone for a reconditioned 1841 at a very cheap price with a small warranty.

Regards,

Chris Snape

Outlawseven
Level 1
Level 1

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: