cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I do what a "Fat Pipe" appliance does with only 2800 routers?

ba.mittleman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I currently have 2 WAN links, a 20MB Ethernet BGP MPLS and a bonded T1.    I have a  2800 at each end configured to automatically fail over to the T1 in the event that the MPLS goes gown.  I put a high AD on the T1 connection with static routes.  If the MPLS goes down the T1 does kick in, however users are dropped from their applications and VOIP calls are disconnected.

I was looking into Fat Pipe appliances and they supposidly will fail over a connection without any packet loss - therefore not dropping a VOIP call or kicking anyone off the database application. In addition they will provide aggregated bandwidth.

Is there any way to achieve a similar failover without packet loss with just the routers?  Do I really need to purchase the Fat Pipe to achieve this?  Are there any alternatives?

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Before you purchase the "Fat Pipe" appliance, you may want to talk to your ISP and and use a routing protocol (BGP) to peer with them and test it to see if you get better results.

HTH

I am already using BGP.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

What QoS, if any, is configured for the T1 path?

How many T1s are bonded and bonded how?

What model(s) 2800?  What IOS version?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card