cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I use BGP add availability to my network?

maurogatti
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I've a 857 router with an ADSL connection with dynamic IP.

Now I would like to add a 3G connection to my network to increase availability in case of any problem with the ADSL line.

I was asking myself if it was possible to add a 3G router to the network and use BGP to control failover between ADSL and 3G. Of course I've no control to ADSL line such as I've no control to 3G network. ADSL is directly connected to my 857 router and 3G router would be attached to a port of it.

Thank You

Best Regards

Mauro

5 Replies 5

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

You dont need BGP in your case,

All you need is to implement (Reliable Static routing with Object Tracking) feature.

With this feature, once a failure on particular network is detected, the link should failover to the secondary path.

The Tracking could be done for any particular device not explicitly the nexthop , Ie: proxy server.

HTH

Mohamed

what is object tracking?

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Salim,

-- Object tracking allows you to track specific objects on the network, The object tracking monitors the status of the tracked Object--.

please refer to the bellow link for more info about (Reliable Static route using Object tracking)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/12_3x/12_3xe/feature/guide/dbackupx.html

HTH

Mohamed

In the prerequisites I read that "Dial-on-demand routing (DDR) must be configured if the backup connection is configured on a dialer interface"

On my 857 router ADSL is on a diler interface but 3g backup connection should be connected by a fast-ethernet port.

Can I use anyway this method?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: