cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can L3 Portchannel Connect to L2 Portchannel ?

SubnetWarrior
Level 1
Level 1

Hello experts, 

So i have an L3 switch (3850) and N7K. They are connected by a single link 1 gig. Gi1/0/1 in 3850 and eth3/3 in N7K. That one link is to connect ospf. On 3850 side, Gi1/0/1 is a trunk, and the ospf in 3850 is on its interface vlan. On N7K side, eth3/3 is layer 3 which has ip address and ospf configuration on that interface. 

So my client want to have portchannel, so there will be 2 links bundle in one portchannel. My question is, is it possible to connect L3 port channel (portchannel on N7K side) to L2 port channel (portchannel on 3850 side)?

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In short answer NO, you can have sub interface Layer 3 on both the sides for OSPF peering. - is this works for you ?

what is the challenges you see  here ? on both the sides ?

i can advise if you looking Layer 2 Port-channel both the side - you have VLAN SVI Layer 3 for OSPF neighbourship ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hmm, don't recall if I've ever tried that, but suspect it will work.

Why though, is g1/0/1 defined as a trunk?  I assume the 3850's VLAN, which has OSPF active, is the native VLAN on the trunk, correct?

If you don't use the trunk on e3/3, would suggest you define g1/0/1 as an access port.

As an alternative, define a VLAN just to replace the routed e3/3 port, and then the two sides would be alike.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card