cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can not ping hosts in an router on a stick

ferdao71493
Level 1
Level 1

I tried to solve the Retake file down attached in the Packet Tracer. I think I configured the required steps correctly but when in 7. step I can not ping the hosts. There should be a misconfiguration but couldn't find. Any help ??

10 Replies 10

Martin L
VIP
VIP

PC B- 172.16.1.66 - is on vlan 20 and it is on 172.16.1.64/27  but PC C - 172.16.1.67- is on vlan 40 and also 172.16.1.64/27 .  I did not look at PDF but 1 of those PCs is on wrong vlan.   I guess PC B is miss-configured because it cannot ping router.  Router shows vlan 20 belongs to 172.16.1.32 subnet while vlan 40 is on

172.16.1.64/27

Solution should be obvious now;  PC B Should be on different subnet.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

I don't think I got it. 

Aren't pc B (172.16.1.66 ) and pcC (172.16.1.67) int the same vlan?

The ip addresses were required to be configured by me knowing that pcB and pcC's ports belongs to same VLAN which is vlan 40. And since vlan 40 subnet address is 172.16.1.64 I chose pcB and pcC's ip's like that.

What could be the reason pc B can't ping the router and why?

I am so sorry, I just noticed that pcB's port belongs to vlan 20 and pcC's port to vlan 40.

Hello,

in addition to Martin's post, reading through the requirements, since they don't mention specific IP addresses, I guess they won't you to use the router as DHCP server. That way, you can also avoid mistakes when manually setting IP addresses.

In addition, it is good practice to put the Vlan 1 management IP address on the physical interface of the router (not really necessary).

Attached the revised file with the router configured as DHCP server, and the PCs set to DHCP...

Hello
As stated, you had host B configured in the wrong subnet, it should have been vlan 20 not 40.
As for part 2, its requesting you add a static default towards a connected interface (loopback0) and redistribute that static default into OSPF, This won’t work in OSPF however you can conditional advertise the default with the default-information originate based on the static route so if/when the loopback 0 interface is shutdown that default wont be advertised and as such be removed for the gateway rtr rute table.
The other alternative it to always advertise a default default-information originate always then you don’t require any static default route.

Suggest I would query this with your instructor.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

I created a  default route that points to the loopback 0 and redistributed. Everything worked well, meaning I could still ping from hosts to the Internet(loopback) but just after I secured OSPF and configured port security for pcC (as required in Part 2) I couldn't ping to the loopback from pcs anymore.

How could this effect and what is mis-configured?

Hello

@ferdao71493 wrote:

I created a  default route that points to the loopback 0 and redistributed. Everything worked well, meaning I could still ping from hosts to the Internet(loopback) but just after I secured OSPF and configured port security for pcC (as required in Part 2) I couldn't ping to the loopback from pcs anymore.

How could this effect and what is mis-configured?

It shouldn't, Can you post the output for that interface 
sh port-security interface fa0/18

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Here it is:

Switch>enable

Switch#sh port-security interface fa0/18

Port Security : Enabled

Port Status : Secure-up

Violation Mode : Shutdown

Aging Time : 0 mins

Aging Type : Absolute

SecureStatic Address Aging : Disabled

Maximum MAC Addresses : 1

Total MAC Addresses : 1

Configured MAC Addresses : 1

Sticky MAC Addresses : 0

Last Source Address:Vlan : 0000.0000.0000:0

Security Violation Count : 0

Or should I post the .pkt file?

Hello

yes it would be applicable to post and in the mean time disable- re-enable that access port 

Kind Regards
Paul

Here it is sir@paul driver 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card