cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can ROMMonitor be accessed using USB console cable?

charlespike
Level 1
Level 1

Simple question:

I don't have a USB to serial adapter handy, and was wondering if anyone has had success breaking to the rommon prompt during system reload (boot sequence) using the USB console on a Cisco 1941 router?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You want to go into the ROMmon?  Of a 1941 router?

EASY!  Power down the router, eject the CF, power up the router.  Guaranteed ROMmon!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You want to go into the ROMmon?  Of a 1941 router?

EASY!  Power down the router, eject the CF, power up the router.  Guaranteed ROMmon!

That did it! ..and no need for a CF adapter for a PC.

I removed the CF, powered up the router, and waited for rommon mode.

At the rommon prompt, I issued the confreg 0x2142 command to set the "load the default config" flag, shut down the router, reinstalled the CF, powered back up, saved the default over the botched config, and set the flag back (in config t) config-reg 0x2102, wrote it, and done!

Thanks again @Leo Laohoo.

charlespike
Level 1
Level 1

You know, I was thinking of that, but I'm going to need to wipe the saved config on the CF before putting it back in. I guess since it's formatted FAT, I can delete using a CF adapter and PC. Thanks for the answer, although I'm still curious about using the USB console cable for this.

I guess since it's formatted FAT, I can delete using a CF adapter and PC.

Yes you can. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card