Views
Helpful
Replies

can SM-ES3-16-P used in place of HWIC-2FE

puneet_kandwal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want a low cost solution router with 16 10/100 routed ports...The idea is to club 16 different segments on ofc to this router via media convertor and there will be dynamic protocols such as EIGRP or higher running between these segments..

The router needs to be security enabled...the equipments needs to be a router by defination (not a layer 3 switch)..As per my understanding there is limitation on number of HWIC-2 FE that can be put in ISR G2 series due to which I cannot reach that figure...

Kindly let me know if i can use SM-ES3-16-P in the place of HWIC-2FE for this kind of requirement..

Regards

Puneet..

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

SM-ES3-16-P is a 16-port, PoE-support, Layer-2 switch.

An HWIC-2FE is a two-port, FastEthernet ROUTABLE port.

You choose what you want to do. 

Hi, Thanks for the reply, ..

As per my understanding the SM-ES3-16-P has a feature parity with 3560E switch with support for high end Layer 3 routing protocols..The hyperlink mentions the same..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps10536/data_sheet_c78-553980.html

Kindly suggest if this can be used for the funtionality mentioned above..

Regards

Puneet

Exactly what are you trying to do again?

And what total bandwidth are you trying to push?

16-routed ports ... You're bettter off getting an ME3600 or ME3800.

Hi,

Bandwidth is pretty low say 2-4 Mbps per site..

Requirement:

16 different segments terminating on ofc (converted to ethernet via convertor) will be terminated on this router..

Dynamic routing protocols will be running for routing..All segments will be on different subnets..

The reason that I am looking for solution in ISR G2 as this is a govt. requirement wherein the specifications are mentioned of 2911 ISR G2 router..We donot want further chnges in the specs so we are looking for workaround..

Regards

What's your routing protocols?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card