Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't configure VWIC-2MFT-T1 on 1841

I have checked and re-checked before buying and this card is evidently supported on the 1841 for 'data mode only' which is all I need.  I have 3 T1s in Multilink mode and I want to use 2 of these cards (and 3 of the 4 ports) to support it.  The problem is that even though SH INVENTORY finds the card, I can't issue the "card type" command to indicate I am using it with a T1 - I get this:

R3(config)#card type  t1 1 0

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

So I tried to issue the "controller T1" command and it does not recognize the slot as containing a T1 card (which makes sense since the "card" command did not work).

I found numerous references to this card being supported in Cisco docs with a minimum OS around 12.2(8) - it varies based on the chassis.  I can't find the explicit OS required for the 1841 which is a concern but I am using 12.4(13r)T. SH VERSION finds "2 Channelized T1/PRI ports" which is the MFT card.

Am I missing something? I need to get Serial interfaces configured on these cards.  Many thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jose Bogantes
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Dale,

If you are using a VWIC-2MFT-T1 you are not supposed to use the "card-type" command for the card is just a T1. We have to remember that this command is used if the card has T1/E1 functionality; for example, if you were installing a VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1.

Then, to see the serial interface, you should configure the controller T1 as you can see in the sample configuration:

controller T1 0/1/0

framing esf

linecode b8zs

channel-group 0 timeslots 1-24

!

controller T1 0/1/1

framing esf

linecode b8zs

In this particular case, the card is installed in WIC slot 1. If the card were installed in slot 0, the controller numbering will be different for the number between slashes will be 0 (Controller t1 0/0/0 or controller t10/0/1)

Now, gather the following outputs if these commands are not making any difference:

• show version
  • show diag
  • show controllers t1

Regards.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jose Bogantes
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Dale,

If you are using a VWIC-2MFT-T1 you are not supposed to use the "card-type" command for the card is just a T1. We have to remember that this command is used if the card has T1/E1 functionality; for example, if you were installing a VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1.

Then, to see the serial interface, you should configure the controller T1 as you can see in the sample configuration:

controller T1 0/1/0

framing esf

linecode b8zs

!

controller T1 0/1/1

framing esf

linecode b8zs

In this particular case, the card is installed in WIC slot 1. If the card were installed in slot 0, the controller numbering will be different for the number between slashes will be 0 (Controller t1 0/0/0 or controller t10/0/1)

Now, gather the following outputs if these commands are not making any difference:

• show version
  • show diag
  • show controllers t1

Regards.

Jose-  Many thanks.  I will try this first thing in the morning and report back.  --Dale

Jose-

Thank you - that worked great!

Serial0/0/0:0 is down, line protocol is down

Serial0/0/1:0 is down, line protocol is down

Serial0/1/0:0 is down, line protocol is down

Serial0/1/1:0 is down, line protocol is down

Are the commands you gave me to configure each controller generic for all T1s?  My (3) T1s will be multilinked into a 4.5 GB data pipe.  Does timeslots 1-24 mean use all 24 subdivisions of the T1 for one data channel?

Thank you again.

Dale

Hello Dale,

It is good to know that the commands worked for you. Regarding your question about the timeslots, I'd like to let you know that this is the standard pattern for a full T1. However, it can also be different if your provider tells you that you need to configure a fractional T1. For example, if they tell you to use timeslots 1-12, it would be half a T1. The explanation is simple: each timeslot is known as a DS0, which equals 64 kbit/s. Now if you have 24 DS0s, you will get 1536 kbit/s (a full T1).

show int serial 0/0/0:0

Serial0/0/0:0 is up, line protocol is up

Hardware is GT96K Serial

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1536 Kbit/sec, DLY 20000 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

Encapsulation HDLC, loopback not set

When configuring the Multilink, use the following commands to create the interface multilink:

interface Multilink1

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

!

Once it is created, add the following configuration under the physical interfaces that will be part of the multilink:

interface Serial0/0/0:0

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

!

interface Serial0/0/1:0

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

Remember that the "ppp multilink group" number must be the same under the interface multilnk and under the physical interfaces.

Please let me know if you have any other question.

Regards.

Jose-

This has been very helpful - thank you for the pointers.

Dale

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card