cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't do anything with Console

joneschw1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all, I have inherited a Cisco 2610 with a serialWic console, and ethernet port. It is running 11.3.4 which is old. When I connect via console cable, and power it on, I can see the post and the normal bootup information. Then when I try to hit enter to continue or to do anything, I am not able to. Also, when I try to do a break to do a password recovery, nothing happens either. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am pretty sure my console session is configured correctly b/c I can see the bootup information. Here is the information that I see. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 11.3(4)T1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1986-1998 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Wed 01-Jul-98 11:48 by phanguye

Image text-base: 0x80008084, data-base: 0x80552544

cisco 2610 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x202) with 12288K/4096K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID JAB02380BR9 (3498020135)

M860 processor: part number 0, mask 32

Bridging software.

X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.

1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

1 Serial network interface(s)

32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Press RETURN to get started!

%LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Ethernet0/0, changed state to up

%LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial0/0, changed state to down

%SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from memory by console

%SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted --

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 11.3(4)T1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1986-1998 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Wed 01-Jul-98 11:48 by phanguye

%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Ethernet0/0, changed state to down

%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial0/0, changed state to down

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are several things that might produce the symptoms that you describe, some of which can be investigated if you can get access to the router. Have you tried access to the router via the aux port? If the router has an existing config it may be possible to telnet to the router. If you connect another router to the Ethernet port (using a crossover cable for a direct connection) you may be able to do show cdp neighbor detail and find what IP address was configured on the Ethernet interface. If there is an IP address that you can find, then you can configure the router you are on with a compatible address and try to telnet to the problem router.

One of the possibilities may be that the router is configured to disable the console port. This would primarily be done by configuring no exec on the console port. If you can get into the router by one of the methods I mention above look in the config and see if there is a no exec on the console.

The other possibility is that there might be a hardware problem with the console. The fact that it does not respond to the break key during bootup would sort of suggest that this might be the problem. If you see output on a terminal but the router does not recognize your attempt to input there might be problems with the receive pins in the console connection.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Try a different console cable, if the router not reading your command possibly a bad console cable.

Hi,

Check for proper wiring/soldering on 25/9 pin console connecter on PC side.

If you are using RJ-45/DB-9 converter try after changing that.

Regards

Krishnamurthy Suresh

ashookoul
Level 1
Level 1

hi

It seems that that ur router did not respond.

Just change the Ios of the router through xmodem

your problem will be solved

Thanks

AK

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card