Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't reach BGP propagated networks

Dan74
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

My goal is to be able to ping any of the loopback networks from any of the routers. Each router is in it's own AS and set as a neighbor of Router1. I can ping between Router0 and Router1 and between Router1 and Router2, but I can't go all the way from Router0 to Router2.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Screen Shot 2019-05-05 at 21.50.45.pngScreen Shot 2019-05-05 at 21.58.00.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thanks Harold. It turns out that my configs were working just fine, but I wasn't specifying the source of the ping when pinging across. Since I didn't want to go through all the ping options to specify the source, I ended up adding "redistribute connected" to the middle router.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Make sure you the loopback interface address as the source for the ping. By default, the outgoing interface address will be used as the source and this address is not propagated in BGP, therefore unreachable from Router2.

Router0#ping 4.4.4.4 source lo0

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Thanks Harold. It turns out that my configs were working just fine, but I wasn't specifying the source of the ping when pinging across. Since I didn't want to go through all the ping options to specify the source, I ended up adding "redistribute connected" to the middle router.

Hi Dan, yes you need use the command "redistribute connected" also in some scenarios is requiered some static routes and their redistribution. You are using BGP for Lab and Test or is a real application? You can use OSPF and use redistribution.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card