cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can you use same vlan ID/number in two different VRF

CiscoPurpleBelt
Level 6
Level 6
To reuse VLAN numbers, can you use the same VLAN number/ID as long as it is in a different VRF?
5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do you have two separate and independent vlans that use the same vlan number? Do these vlans connect to different physical interfaces on the router? If both of these are true then I believe that it should work to use the same vlan number on the router. If you could provide some more detail about your environment and what you are attempting to achieve then we might be able to provide better answers.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Do you have two separate and independent vlans that use the same vlan number?

Yes. VLAN 100 for example.

Do these vlans connect to different physical interfaces on the router?

I have not tried to configure it yet. This is a lab. If this is done on a Layer 3 switch would it work. So example, if I put an SVI100 - VLAN100 in VRF1 and SVI11 - VLAN100 in VRF2 would it work?

If both of these are true then I believe that it should work to use the same vlan number on the router. If you could provide some more detail about your environment and what you are attempting to achieve then we might be able to provide better answers.

This is basically a lab setup with a VXLAN leaf spine design consisting of 2x 9k spines and 2x 9k leaves.

The original question asked about using VRF and was not specific about the environment. I responded thinking in terms of a router (since I am more familiar with VRF on routers). Now you have clarified that you are really interested in doing this on 9K and this introduces some different aspects. The VRF is a layer 3 entity and from a layer 3 perspective having two different vlan 100 probably is not a problem. But the 9K is a switch that operates at both layer 2 and layer 3 and I am not sure how the layer 2 operation of the switch is going to have vlan 100 on some interfaces and have some other interfaces in vlan 100 and keep them separate at layer 2.

Another way to look at the issues goes back to your clarification. You mention "SVI100 - VLAN100 in VRF1 and SVI11 - VLAN100 in VRF2". It is clear how you  could have interface vlan 100 use vlan 100 but I am not clear how you will have interface vlan 11 and have it use vlan 100?

Perhaps someone else in the community with more experience with 9K can provide some insight?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Awesome this info is great!

Yes hopefully someone else knows about this implementation and can respond.

I do hope that someone else will add their insights on this question.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card