Views
Helpful
Replies

cannot format usb flash drive from brand new 2911 either slot 0 or slot 1

Thanh Tran
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I tried to copy my conf file to a USBflash drive but I cannot initialize the USBflash drive.

It asks me to format the USBflash, but when I say "yes" it gives an error.

Feb 21 11:18:40.799: %USBFLASH-5-CHANGE: usbflash1 has been inserted!

Feb 21 11:19:00.803: %USBFLASH-4-FORMAT: usbflash1 contains unexpected values in partition table or boot sector.  Device needs formatting before use!

yourname#fort

yourname#for

yourname#format usb

yourname#format usbflash1:

Format operation may take a while. Continue? [confirm]y

Format operation will destroy all data in "usbflash1:".  Continue? [confirm]y

%Error formatting usbflash1: (No such device)

yourname#

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Wrong forum, post in "WAN and routing-". You can move your posting with the Actions panel on the right.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Feb 21 11:19:00.803: %USBFLASH-4-FORMAT: usbflash1 contains unexpected values in partition table or boot sector.

Not all USB flash drives are supported by Cisco appliances.    You may need to find another brand.

krueffer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Leo,

is there a list of compatible USB sticks? Just to buy another one and to do try and error can be time consuming :-)

Thanks

Knut

No, Cisco will NOT publish a list of "compatible" 3rd party USB due to financial reason.  (Translation:  Are you nut$?  We make lot$ of ca$h selling 2Gb U$B $tick$ for x10 the price in the market.)

Go to your favorite electronics shop and buy three different varieties from three different manufacturer.  Return the ones that don't work.

This is a silly recommendation

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card